• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawkin - space from nipple to hammer is tight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordy317

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought a used TC Hawkin that I believe was kit built. The barrell is in excellent shape. The stock 'very good.' Wood to metal fit is excellent.

Two problems :
1/ With the hammer at half cock, there is only about 3/16 in. between the nipple and the rim of the hammer. Is this normal? My other sidelocks aren't like this, and I need to put it on full cock to get the capper in there - - probably not too safe with mittens on.:nono: The lock appears to function well, and caps go off reliably.

2/ The head is stripped off the clean out screw. I should say that it's stripped off enough to keep me from getting it out. Break-Free hasn't helped yet. Does anyone know the size of the screw threads should I need to drill and replace?
I suppose I could always drill and retap the hole.

Thanks, all.

Normal for a TC.
: No need to remove this so-called cleanout screw - no necessary purpose - remove the nipple for cleaning - it's important to get it clean as well as the area under it. Remove the nipple if dry-balled (loaded without powder) & dribble some powder into the nipple passage, then tap with short starter to settle it into the breech of the barrel.
: If you just HAVE to get it out, you may be able to cut a slot in it for a screw driver, by using a dremel tool with dental burr. Your Dentist will give you all his worn out ones, just for the asking - or you can buy them from Home Depot.

That is the one thing T/C's have in common, not enough room at half cock to get a cap on the nipple. It is normal for T/C's though. Like Daryl said, you don't really need to take out the clean out screw, just pull the nipple and flush it all out good with water. I usually run a pipe cleaner through the channel from the nipple to the barrel to make sure it is clear.

Daryl, thanks for the idea about the dental burr. I've got a Dremmel and some tiny etching burrs - hadn't thought of using it to cut the blade slot - had actually been thinking of how to wear down a Dremmel grinding wheel to make it small enough. Your suggestion is much better.
Rebel, I've already flushed and cleaned it from the nipple hole. I didn't try the pipe cleaner in that route, as I didn't think it would 'go around the bend.' For now I'll do that. After our late ML season is over is the time to deal with that screw slot.
I'm glad to hear that this space issue (from nipple to hammer)is common on TCs,and not unique to this gun, but am surprised that they would allow it to continue.

Thanks to both of 'ya. I appreciate the help.

I think a design change in the tumbler fixes that hammer/nipple space issue...some of mine have it, some don't;

Also, after hunting season, if you send the barrel to TC, they'll fix the cleanout screw...and may very well just replace the entire breech plug/snail with the improved breech plug (w/o a cleanout screw) at no charge...they did that for me on two of my older barrels.

Caution - if you screw with it, you may void the warranty

Back