• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC New Englander Barrel Value

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awreis

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Whats a fair price? I found a TC New Englander .54 cal barrel that is pretty clean except for some pitting around the nipple and breach area and a good bore with minor pitting. Is $150 a fair price for a barrel in this condition?

Hard to say. Some barrels shot fine with minor pitting, some not so much. If you decide to pull the trigger on the deal, and it's not a shooter, you can always send it to Bobby Hoyt and have it rebored to 56 smoothbore.

Hard to say. Some barrels shot fine with minor pitting, some not so much. If you decide to pull the trigger on the deal, and it's not a shooter, you can always send it to Bobby Hoyt and have it rebored to 56 smoothbore.
What's the going rate for something like that?

you can always send it to Bobby Hoyt and have it rebored to 56 smoothbore.
What's the going rate for something like that?
It’s been a while since he did one for me, but figure $150 if you wanted a rifled bore (58 caliber). Means you would have around $300 in a barrel that would sell in the $200 range.

It’s been a while since he did one for me, but figure $150 if you wanted a rifled bore (58 caliber). Means you would have around $300 in a barrel that would sell in the $200 range.
That probably might sting a bit. Tough call.

I think it would be a decent deal.
Find a rifled drop in barrel at .58 for any price...not like they are growing on trees. Sure you might find one cheaper, after a couple of months of looking, but the availability of such barrels is not common.

I think it would be a decent deal.
Find a rifled drop in barrel at .58 for any price...not like they are growing on trees. Sure you might find one cheaper, after a couple of months of looking, but the availability of such barrels is not common.
Paying $150 for a 54 caliber New Englander barrel with pitting and then putting another $150 in to it to take it to 58 caliber with a rebore seems at the high end, unless one just has to have one.

Your are correct about 58 caliber barrels not being that common. I believe TC only offered the New Englander with 50 and 54 caliber rifled barrels, along with a 12 gauge option, though I don’t know what TC’s custom shop offered, so maybe a source for 58 caliber New Englander barrels you might have seen.

For what its worth, ive got the same barrel in .50 with light to medium pitting and it shoots great. But not all barrels are the same. Also have the stainless grey hawk that definitely needs rebored, not sure if Bobby does stainless tho.

Latest posts

Back