• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC target trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

50 Cal.
Reaction score
TOW offers a target trigger which fits TC hawkens/renegades. I've ordered one but am still waiting to get it/set it up. Has anyone shot with/set up these that can offer some insight?

If not or if so, I'll post some more feedback soon......

P.S. I'm just a novice at "building" so I hope this question is not too trivial for this forum.

TOW offers a target trigger which fits TC hawkens/renegades. I've ordered one but am still waiting to get it/set it up. Has anyone shot with/set up these that can offer some insight?

If not or if so, I'll post some more feedback soon......
P.S. I'm just a novice at "building" so I hope this question is not too trivial for this forum.

MP, nobody has responded so I'm going to toss out my two cents...I'm embarrassed to say how many TC Hawken caplocks and flintlocks I own and shoot regularly year round...said to let you know I've spent a lot of time with the Hawken set triggers now...studying, polishing, etc.

Frankly, I think the factory Hawken set triggers are very, very good...and 30 seconds with a buffing wheel on a dremel tool on the end of the set trigger where it latches gets it as smooth as glass...and you already know they're adjustable.

Mine work so well I can't imagine what another trigger asm of that same design would/could do differently to operate better...so maybe all that's been done to the TOW replacement triggers is what I've just described...30 seconds of polish on the tip of the set trigger where it latches...they only cost $2 more than the factory trigger and basically appear identical in the photos.
:m2c:

MP, nobody has responded so I'm going to toss out my two cents...I'm embarrassed to say how many TC Hawken caplocks and flintlocks I own and shoot regularly year round...said to let you know I've spent a lot of time with the Hawken set triggers now...studying, polishing, etc.

Frankly, I think the factory Hawken set triggers are very, very good...and 30 seconds with a buffing wheel on a dremel tool on the end of the set trigger where it latches gets it as smooth as glass...and you already know they're adjustable.

Mine work so well I can't imagine what another trigger asm of that same design would/could do differently to operate better...so maybe all that's been done to the TOW replacement triggers is what I've just described...30 seconds of polish on the tip of the set trigger where it latches...they only cost $2 more than the factory trigger and basically appear identical in the photos.
:m2c: [/quote]

Hi Roundball. The triggers shown in the TOW online catalog are similar but physically different (note shape of single set trigger). I should have my hands on mine soon so I'll try to post a discription of the differences inside if any.

Thanks for the info on polishing the end of the set trigger. Is there anything else you touch up on TC triggers? What do you use for lubrication? Do you do anything with the lock?

It's easier, quicker and sometimes cheaper too, to follow the wisdom of someone's experience.

Thanks in advance for your advice/help.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear...yes, the front trigger has a different shape, but I was mainly referring to the internals...from what I could tell from the photos, the internals look like the same parts.

Polishing the tip of the set trigger is all I do besides the initial check to make sure nothing is dragging of course...anytime I clean the rifle, I blast up into the triggers with aerosol WD-40, then blow that out with compressed air...

I would like to set my eyes on something T/C has made that was bad. So far I have had no luck. Anybody have problems with their parts? I got people telling me I need pins for My Encore and this that and the other thing but dang if the stuff I have doesn't work just fine. Like Roundball said stock should be fine on that rifle. Always has been on mine. I own a new rifle I just bought with a single trigger called the "50 Express" That has a trigger as good as my expensive hunting rifles. And yes it is a side lock .50 cal.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear...yes, the front trigger has a different shape, but I was mainly referring to the internals...from what I could tell from the photos, the internals look like the same parts.

Polishing the tip of the set trigger is all I do besides the initial check to make sure nothing is dragging of course...anytime I clean the rifle, I blast up into the triggers with aerosol WD-40, then blow that out with compressed air...

Hi Roundball, parts came in today. Trigger assy, GM barrel, ton of lead, all sorts of cleaning parts..........
I'll start tinkering and hopefully shooting soon. Parts are going in a renegade and barrel nearly drops in except I'll have to take a file to the channel underneath the barrel, ca. 1/8 ", it's too long to let fall into place.

The trigger is different than the TC one, it's made by R.E. Davis. I'll have to remove ca. 1/4 in of wood where the screw that mounts the main spring is located, pretty trivial to get it to drop in. The internals are different. They are well made and finished nicely but a bit more delicate than the TC assembly. Springs are bit lighter and it seems to work more smoothly than the original. I realize that the difference in smoothness may be due to the fact that no polishing or adjustment has been done to the stock TC trigger.

I'll have to put bunch of lead through the new barrel for breakin before hunting so I'll polish/adjust the factory trigger as you reccomended and try a comparision between the two. Will give an update on this but I don't forsee free time until the weekend.......

".....barrel nearly drops in except I'll have to take a file to the channel underneath the barrel, ca. 1/8 ", it's too long to let fall into place.
Had to do the same thing on a GM .62cal drop-in smoothbore barrel for a Hawken stock;

".....so I'll polish/adjust the factory trigger as you reccomended and try a comparision between the two....."

If that is a different brand trigger assembly, please do not make any modifications to it based on my previous comments, which were soley based upon what I do to all my "TC factory trigger assemblies"...it may have a negative effect on the that non-TC trigger assembly.

I put a Davis Deerslayer trigger in my rifle and really like it. Although mine is a Lyman GPR, the same Davis trigger fits both Lyman & TC.

I had to do a little more than remove a bit of wood where the mainspring screw sits, but I'm happy with the trigger.
If you'd like to read my experience, here is a link to that post: Deerslayer Trigger Post
Do note that my experience is atypical, and that for the majority of those making the swap the replacement is almost a drop-in.

Dave

If that is a different brand trigger assembly, please do not make any modifications to it based on my previous comments, which were soley based upon what I do to all my "TC factory trigger assemblies"...it may have a negative effect on the that non-TC trigger assembly. [/quote]

Roundball, I understand! Was not planning on tinkering w/new trigger, just fitting the stock to it and comparing it to the TC assy. after I'd polished/adjusted the latter. That is shoot a bunch w/new trigger, drop old one back in after working on it for a comparison.

Dave, thanks for the link to your experience. I'm hoping the slight amount of wood removal as per instructions will do the trick but if I run into similar problems I'll know where to start, thanks.

Latest posts

Back