• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC White Mountain Carbine barrel rust

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Problem Child

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought I would "rescue" a TC WMC the other day for $50. The outside of the rifle looked really good but I knew when I bought it that the inside of the barrel was pretty rusted.I have cleaned for a total of six hours on this barrel and it's better but you still ain't gonna get a dry patch down it very far without it getting stuck.I've shot the gun about 7 times and at 25 yards it's pretty darn accurate.I talked with TC customer service the other day and they said to send it back and for $65 they could reblue it but couldn't do much about pitting. Is this my best option?
I didn't ask about a new barrel or even availability? Are there other options or should I just shoot the manure out of it?(pun intended)

If you have the accuraccy, I'd keep it as is and shoot it!

When I clean, I dont worry too much about the patch, as I use bore brushes. Both plastic and bronze. Often I will wrap a patch around these, but the brush and water do 90% of my cleaning.

You and also run steel wool and scotchbrite pads up/down the bore to get more polish going. Use well oiled of course!

I'd say you got a good deal even if the barrel is junk. You could probably get a new barrel from T/C for around $200. But I would try the steel wool/ scotch-brite thing like Brett suggested first.

I had rust in my Zoli Zouve that had sat in a closet for 25+ years, I used a patch soaked in Wonder Blue gun cleaner wrapped around a .50 brush let it sit for a hour or so then used a small piece of green scotbrite stuck to a brass brush and worked the heck out of it, it finally came clean and rust free, now that I'm using it on a regular basis I don't have the rust problem any more.
You might even try Naval Jelly but keep it off the bluing or finish.

I would shoot it and shoot it. Try to used a well oiled non washed pillow ticking (harder). May try srubbing inbetween range sessions with steel wool or green pads but if the barrel is accurate it definately shows signs of life. You maybe able to get it better, may not. Is it worth 65 bucks plus shipping for new blue? Thats up to you.

I inherited a muzzleloader that had the bore rusted very badly coludn't even tell if there was rifling. I plugged the nipple hole and filled with blue and rust remover,then let it sit over night. The next morning i dumped it out rinsed well and oiled.You may want be careful if you do this, it seems to foam a little so i would stop an inch or two short of the top to save your barrel blue. Mine shoots rather well.

I would see just how accurate it is at this point and if suitable use it, and lube the bore well after cleaning to help prevent a continuation of the pitting, it is surprising sometimes just how well a bad barrel can shoot.

keep an eye for a barrel for it they pop up on the buy sell adds from time to time .

:thumbsup:

Pitted bores are often a problem if you are shooting Bare Conicals, as the lead is unable to adequately seal the bore, and gases cut at the base of the bullet, and at the corners of the base where it contacts the bore. An OP wad between the powder and bullet will save the barrels accuracy, but you then have to clean the barrel thoroughly with lead solvent after each session, and then with soap and water to remove the BP carbon residue.

If you shoot a Patched Round Ball in the barrel, pitting rarely causes an accuracy problem unless its right at the muzzle. Even then, you can often work the crown with emery cloth to remove those pits that are at the edge of the crown, and restore the accuracy. If all else fails, you can cut a slice off the muzzle and recrown to restore the accuracy. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I've been working with it.The Scotchbrite pads seems to be helping......There's actually rifling in there.I sure am glad Walmart has 50 cal patches on clearance. :bow:

If you are buying anything marked " .50 cal" patches, they are for wrapping around the ball to shoot. BUY SOME CLEANING patches- which should be from 2-3 inches round or SQUARE. I use 3 inch squares for all my rifles and shotguns, but use the smaller cleaning patch sizes for small bores.
cleaning patches are generally made of 100% Cotton Flannel, and have a rather loose weave. The patches you have will have a tight heavy weave of threads, and feel pretty coarse, by comparison.

With Cleaning patches, you can put them down the barrel in front of a bore brush, and the bristles from the bore brush- I use 20 gauge Bronze brushes for my 20 gauge, but use a .50 cal. Bronze bore brush for my rifle-- will stick into the cotton flannel, and hold on to it as you scrub the bore. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back