• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Techinque of loading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ando009

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone tried (or heard for) this way of loading?
1.Tore off paper cartrige on POWDER end.
2.Prime the pan.
3.Pour rest of the powder down the barrel and insert ball which is still in paper.
4.Ram it down.

Seems like I read it somewhere but I dont want any part of it. I dont want the pan primed till after Im done at the business end of it an I would suggest the same for you. Very Dangerous

That is the military style of loading. We have used it for reenactments. Not the safest method by today's standards, but it is the way it was done. Did not need a horn for priming, just use the cartridge, less for the military to carry, and actually faster.

That is the 200 year old military method of loading a musket. Very dangerous.
Answer: yes, I have heard of it.
Except for the priming first part, you could use if in a hurry or reenacting.

You don't want a closed, Primed Flash pan next to your TH as you are pouring powder, and then running a patched bullet or ball down the barrel.

Its simply NOT safe!

This kind of thing was done 200 years ago, when soldiers were considered to be totally expendable, and of a "Lower class" than officers who led them. On a battlefield, where that Brown Bess was considered nothing but a PIKE with a gun barrel in it, to help thin the ranks of your enemies, before you closed with them and killed them with bayonets in hand-to-hand combat, it didn't matter if someone was blown up, or injured because a hot ember in the barrel or a dropped hammer fired a gun while it was being loaded. MEN were EXPENDABLE. Loading that next charge was more important, and doing it in cadence, so that the entire battle unit( company) fired VOLLEYS at the enemy to further intimidate them with that kind of massive power, was the principal goal.

1. You are not fighting Battles with any MLer today.

2. You are not shooting VOLLEY fire at enemies at close distances along with 100 other men, standing shoulder to shoulder in an open field.

3. You ARE NOT EXPENDABLE!

4. Some re-enactor groups will risk the danger of a "cook-off" when using Blank Charge to demonstrate this kind of loading procedure, but anyone would be crazy to face the liability they would have if this were allowed using live ammunition in any battle re-enactment, Both Civil( Money) and Criminal( Prison time).

5. You are NOT EXPENDABLE, nor are the people around you.

BE SAFE, First and always.

Forget about SPEED RELOADING. If you miss with the first shot, you rarely will get a second at the same animal.

Most of us Gray-beards have long ago figured out how to Cut SAFETY "corners" to fire rounds faster, just as we have read in the history books.

I have walked through the process during public demonstrations, STOPPING whenever I am about to engage in a dangerous safety violation, explaining to the audience what I am doing, and why, and then "undoing" the violation, and loading the gun the correct, Safe Way.

I give repeated warnings against cutting safety rules, and answer all questions as to why we don't " do it the way they see it done in Hollywood movies?"Most of the parents in an audience, and a surprising number of the children instantly understand that Hollywood is about "Acting", and almost never about firearms safety.

I must be doing something "right", as I have been thanked by dozens of parents at these demonstrations, and have received standing ovations at the end of them. The men particularly take the time to thank me for showing them the Safe way, and with my explanations of why the "fast" way is so dangerous, emphasize why one should not cut corners. The history lesson, and context in which such risks were taken, helps them explain to their own children again why its not safe, and totally an unneeded risk to take. :surrender: :hatsoff:

Stumpkiller said:
But then "they" used to sell table saws without guards and metal case 1/2" drills without a grounded plug, as well.

First thing my daddy would do with a new saw was break off the ground plug prong before ever using the saw. But that was in 1963.

Times change, for the better.

Back