• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tecumseh's Repeater

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawken12

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recall Tecumseh had a repeater(9 shots) I believe,just had to dump the powder in,some sort of breechloader,I think it was flint,read it in a magazine,danged if I can remember it.Anyone familar with this

Most claims of this sort are weak. The MOFT gun is a Indian Department marked trade gun. That's all we can be sure of.

My folks do have Tecumseh's lawn mower though. Has his name right on the engine.
:rotf: :rotf:

Don't know about Tecumseh, but Kenneth McKenzie ordered a "fusil à six coups" while in charge of Ft. Union. It's speculated that it may have been made by Boston gunsmith Elisha Collier, who sort of specialized in multishot, revolving cylinder flintlocks.

Rod

Rod L said:
Don't know about Tecumseh, but Kenneth McKenzie ordered a "fusil à six coups" while in charge of Ft. Union. It's speculated that it may have been made by Boston gunsmith Elisha Collier, who sort of specialized in multishot, revolving cylinder flintlocks.

Rod
Yep Collier of Billinghurst - I understand he also ordered a chain mail shirt at one point....

I just watched a History Channel story of Tecumseh and they never mentioned any repeater, but then they never do go much into guns. I can't imagine how he could have gotten hold of one.
Now a chain mail shirt would be pretty effective against stone tipped arrows. I read that the Indians in Florida caught on to the fact that their arrows would not penetrate the Spanish mail. They began shooting plain reed arrows without any tip. The reeds would split and drive slivers through the mail, making what seem like minor flesh wounds but after a few days those flesh wounds became badly infected.

I just finished Sugden's book. No repeater there either.

He did carry a pipe tomahawk, and I think had a pair of Brit belt pistols.

slowpokebr549 said:
Ouch, death by infected splinter. Yikes!

Yeah, I can't imagine there are many germs to be found in the Florida swamps, are there?

-----if a person was born and raised in a swamp--wouldn't they build up an immunity to the bacteria-----

Right, no germs in the tropics! I was privileged to spend a year and a half in Africa, courtesy of the U.S. Army. I was young and healthy and the army kept my shots up to date but the slightest scratch would swell and itch and seemed to take forever to heal. All of my buddies there made the same observation, the place was a natural germ culture even with modern antibiotics.

I wouldn't be surprised if they took steps to ensure infection. They would almost certainly be familiar with it and with the necessity of keeping wounds clean in order to avoid it. A little feces smeared on the arrow tip would probably do the job and give a little taste of revenge at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back