• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tent flys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiddler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a fly for my wedge tent. I've been using a homemade painters tarp affair for several years and I decided to get something more durable/waterproof. I started comparing Panther's against Tentsmith's (which is where I got my wedge), and predictably they don't make identical sizes/features for easy comparison. Does anyone have an opinion on who offers the best price/features/construction?

I have owned tents and flys from both companies and the quality on both is first rate. When I sold my Panther(16' regent) and bought my Tentsmith(12'x14' wall)it was simply a matter of getting the exact size I wanted.

I jest purchased a nice wedge from red hawk traders nice canvas and very good prices! :m2c: :hatsoff:

. . .When I sold my Panther(16' regent). . .
I've been casting very covetous eyes at that Regent. and since it's a pavillion, It's looks to be the ideal option for a one hander to set up and tear down more easily than a wall tent. How was you experience with it?

It is a great tent but it isn't the easiest to set up since you have to make sure the four corner poles are square to each other. An awning is a must for the tent as the walls are all sloped and if the front door is open in the least bit it rains in your tent. Poles were real easy to deal with as I used a sleeved 2x4 for the center, 2x3s for the corners and 1 5/8 round poles for the awning. I highly suggest a center pole for the awning as it holds water if you don't. When I got mine I had it done with 7 foot walls and this gave me a 6' height on the front of the awning as I give it a slope to help with drainage.
It is without a doubt the best tent I was ever in when it came to shedding wind, the fact that there are no flat surfaces anywhere just let the wind kinda slide right on by without any problems(I dealt with steady 40mph and 55 mph gusts one weekend and the only thing I did was drop the front of the awning way down).
Overall it can be set up wth one person but it is a real bear and you have to do alot of back and forth running, two people take about 20 minutes to get the poles set and everything squared.

Wow, I wouuldn've figured! I was imagining (fantasizing actually) that all I had to do was stake down the perimiter, run up the center pole, stake out the guy lines, and then hoist the corner poles. I'd hoped it would be less frustrating than anything with a ridgepole. if you ever want a laugh, just catch me trying to put up a wedge! of course my old wedge was straight-backed. maybe a bell-backed wedge would give me better stability.
Many thanks for the benefit of your first hand experience.

The problem with staking out the perimeter is that with the mitred corners you have 8 points at the corners instead of 4 and these all have to be set at the correct angles to each other. The best way is to lay out a ground cloth with the spots for the four corner poles marked on it, measure out from each mark and set the stakes for your pole ropes and they lay the canvas out and set the poles on the spots and attach your ropes to the stakes that are already in the ground. After you get the for corner poles set and square you set the rest of the perimeter and finish off with the center pole.

Back