• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Texas hog hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fear that the only "lesson " these 3 kids learned was to keep their mouth's shut the next time they commit a crime! As much as it feels good to know a Judge was " tough " with them, I would rather the judge have been tough on the parents. I think it would do more good.

Your words and insight are the answer to today's problems. Nothing else to add, you are a wise person and I commend you for your wisdom.

RDE

If you spoke to him about it, and he had nothing to say, then I suspect you did find the guilty party, and your action was justified. Innocent people would protest the accusation. Decent guests would have alerted you to the damage, and offered to pay for it. Guys like him don't deserve a second chance.

Many years ago, my gun club was approached by three unkempt men in one car who had driven down to our club from two counties away, without knowing anyone in the club. They wanted to join, so we advised them that they had to participate in at least 2 club shoots before they were voted on to be members. The rule was imposed so that members could evaluate how " safe " and attentative to the club's safety rules before letting someone be a member. Well, the guys shot that day, but the next month, they were pulling out of the club grounds as the early arrivers showed up. They had apparently driven down on Friday, and camped out at the club, using up club firewood, and leaving a bit of a mess, but didn't stay around for the shoot held each Sunday. One of the members was approached by a neighbor to the property complaining about all the shooting that was going on at night on Friday and Saturday. We put two and two together, and the Board decided to Uninvite these guys. As the club's lawyer, I was charged with sending them a letter on behalf of the club, telling them they were no longer welcome, that the neighbors had already been alerted that they were no longer welcome and would be trespassers, and to call the sheriff if they spotted the men on the range again.

We never heard another word from the 3 men.

If you had included that bit of information- that the man did not protest his innocence, when you told him why he was no longer invited, I probably would not have said a thing. I did want my Friends from Texas, who do have a NO-Nonsense belief in Law and Order that many of us other citizens admire, that while the judge was firm and harsh with these vandals, in my friends case, I thought at least some of the punishment should have been directed at the parents. And, I fear,( from interviewing criminals who have served time) that the boys only learned to keep their mouths shut, and not that they should have respect for other people's property in the first place.

If I'm hunting on private land, do I need a written statement of permission if I'm stopped by a warden? I'm new to Texas and have only hunted public land.

Check the Texas Hunting Regulations on their requirements. Most states don't go so far as insisting that you have that permission in writing. However, if permission is required, and someone complains, your hunt is going to be interrupted or ended until the issue is cleared up. Having it in writing is always a good idea.

I made a practice, beginning years ago, of having a County highway map with me in the car, and when I got permission to hunt someone's land, I had them block in the acreage on the map- sometime different parcels, not connected-- and then write on the back of the map their name, their phone number, address, and the date I have been given permission to hunt their land. I always extended the landowner the curtesy of a phone call a day or two before I expected to hunt his ground, telling him what time I might be there, and always checking to make sure no one else was going to be hunting the land when I was there. I didn't want my hunt spoiled, and I didn't want to spoil someone else's hunt. I also asked about gaits, which should be closed, and which should be left open, whether there would be any livestock graising on the ground, and if so, in which field, and I asked if there was anything else I should know before I go out. One time, the farmer complained about someone leaving trash all over his fencerow. He knew it wasn't me, but I told him I would take garbage bags with us and we would pick up the trash, if we could drop it in his burn barrel when we finished the hunt. You have never heard such a change in tone of a man's voice on the phone. We not only cleaned up the trash for him, but knocked on his door after the hunt to give him one of the pheasants we took from a very successful morning hunt. And we put the trash in the burn barrel so he would know where those bags came from, just in case he forget my conversation.

There are lots of ways to thank a landlord for allowing you to hunt his land. The curtesy of a phone call, when he may not remember that he also gave you permission to hunt, asking about the fences, gates, livestock, etc. picking up litter, and sharing your game are all little things you can do, short of paying him cash, to say, " Thank you very much!"

Yes sir, you are required to have written permission on your person, unless the land owner is present. If the land owner is not present than you you will need writen permission to be there. Have the owner affix his contact information so that if you are the person of interest to a game warden he can contact them directly, or their agent. Texas land does not have to be posted, as it is all private property or hunting by permit on public land.

I might of asked on the hog hunting post, but I never did get an answer. What do those little hogs down in Texas taste like? I mean peccary or Javalena?I saw plenty of them scrambling around in the prickly pears but was unsure of hunting seasons and such when I was down south. Does all of the above commentary apply to them or are they a seperate category?

I don't know from experience, but I hear tell that Javalina have a strong musk that can easily ruin the meat.

Javalina are open year round in most of the counties they are located in, but it usually goes by county populations rather than a statewide thing. The younger ones are not bad eating at all, but you have to be real careful skinning them out due to the large scent gland located just forward of the hips along the back bone. Slice into that and your gona be real mad at yourself and your friends will dislike you forevermore! LOL! Javalina are not related to swine at all, but most people that hunt them use the meat as you would pork, stuff aint bad at all. The big ones are a bit rank.

Thanks for that advice, I wouldn't be looking for a gland there. They sure look like a little razorback. My Dad told me the same thing, that they arent even related to hogs.OH well, looks can be decieving. I mean what the heck is up with those Texas jackrabbits? Thats a funny looking critter for a Missouri boy raised on cottontails.

Taste like chicken........ :rotf:
Actually, the taste is pretty good. Some of the guys go hunting and bring back enough hog to share with the other shifts.
Kinda like a cross between regular pork and barbacoa. ( cheek meat). With just a hint of gaminess. I used to live in Kerrville, and I might try to hook up with some friends this winter and do a little hunting myself.

Young jacks are good on the spit. When they get older not so bueno. Javalina are super fun to hunt, and especially with black powder arms. We don't have any around here but out west of here a short ways they are thick as fleas on a coon hound.

They taste great!

There are folks that don't know how to prepare any game or meat and it ruins it for those who are first timers at eating it. Prepared correctly it tastes great and I have eaten boar Javellinas before and the taste was excellent.

The wild hogs are also excellent so long as they are prepared well.

rabbit03 (the other white meat)

Yeah, no kidding. I LOVE the Texas Hill country. Trying to figure a way to move back out there. Such beautiful country up there. As soon as my rifle is finished from Sitting Fox, I need to head up there and do some hog hunting. All this hog meat talk is making me hungry for ribs, chops and hog meat tamales. :haha:

I lived in McAllen (3 miles from Mission) for 6 years and the pork from the wild hogs is very good. Very lean and needs to be prepared carefully or it will be dry. Virtually no fat whatsoever, but so much flavor especially if smoked with Mesquite.

Most of the hogs are just wild domestics and should not to be confused with the Javalina's. We used to trap them and a word of warning, they are vicious and aggressive if you happen to wound one. While there are plenty in the area, they are very skittish and only move at night. Most people will let you hunt them if you are careful etc. There is little or no public land down there.
http://texnat.tamu.edu/symposia/feral/feral-6.htm Texas A&M has an interesting history on them.

If you need any local information, respond or PM me.

Fabucci.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea it is cool! Well, except for the 100 Degree temps and dry as a bone since last August. But the hunting is great. Got some great places at reasonable and affordable prices.

Yeah, I miss living up there. But for many reasons , I had to move back to San Antone. My brother and his wife still live up there and I get a chance to visit every so often. But I do want to move back. I miss the hills and the smell of TREES. Texas summers suck, but it's a lot more pleasant up there than down here with a million plus angry people. :youcrazy: *sigh* I miss home! :shake:

Yes it indeed is. I try to avoid watching the San Antonio News for that reason, "4 people were killed in a drive by" "Three people were killed on 410 this afternoon" "two people were stabbed in a pet shop today". Very depressing to say the least. Hope you all are going to get some of this rain out of Dolly, they say we could get a little bit. Our wildlife and live stock surely need it, nothing worse than Bison that havent figured out were all the water sources are yet. Hope to meet up with you one day and do some hunting.

jackalope.jpg

Yeah but watch out for those Jackalopes ..
they're plain ol mean all year round! :shocked2: :surrender:

Davy

Back