• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thanks forum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstoch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Really sad to see the season end on Sunday. In 60 years of duck hunting, black powder, with your advice and direction, made this season the most rewarding, ever. Yes, I missed more than with my 870 in the beginning. Your advice on half wads and loads made a big difference and as I learned to pick my shots it got better. Because of that, my kill to cripple ratio went way down. A good thing for the birds. Black powder for duck conservation ??? The last 3 limits have had no cripples. Not because of better shooting but because of better loads, patience, and not taking any shots over 20 to 25 yards. Most less than 20 in flooded timber. And there have been misses, but they were clean misses. Your going to miss subsonic teal that take you cap off. If nothing else, black powder builds patience and humility!! Ducks decoying, your buddy shooting, and I'm trying to get a swollen wad down the barrel!!!! Also, my buddies had to get used to not being able to see after I shot. Can not imagine what it would be like with more than one BP shooter in the blind. "White Out" LOL

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR ADVICE OVER THE LAST 5 MONTHS.
D Stoch

these guys sure do have a wealth of information

I have learned more in the year and change I have been here than I did in the decades of BP shooting prior.

Just goes to show if you surround yourself with people who are knowledgeable then some of that will rub off on you. :)

Good going on your hunts! Sounds like you had a great time. And I am sure your friends properly cuss about your smoky gun when you are not in the area.

If you want real "humility training", try dove hunting with a muzzleloader! :wink: :thumbsup:

The trick to hunting dove with a muzzleloader is to be there before the crack of dawn on opening morning.

During the first 10-15 minutes it's no harder than any other bird hunting.

Course, 16 minutes after the shooting starts the doves go into their zig-zag, up/down flack avoidance routine and you might as well go home.

These evasive antics last until 3 weeks after dove season closes. :rotf:

:thumbsup: I thought it totally impossible for a bird to do a barrel-roll but so help me, I saw a morning dove do one...I just stood there with my mouth open and let him fly away! Back in the day, we used to compare number of birds to number of expended shotgun shells. Soon learned how depressing it was to do that when chasing doves! :doh:

Wes/Tex, all we have around here are Mexican Doves and they are way too small to waste your time on.

CynthiaLee, if you want to come join type vs. type "debate" sometime....come to my families house around Thanksgiving or Christmas and you will here one of the hottest, most debated arguments of archery vs. black powder and how black powder is cheating and nasty. I usually get driven out of the house after about 15 minutes. ALL of the rest of my family are archery hunters to the point of being the cofounders of the archery clubs around here and very strongly dislike gun shooters...regardless, well especially, black powders shooters because the boom and all of the smoke. I just tell'em tough. :wink: :rotf:

Latest posts

Back