• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thanks Okwaho

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool gun! Found this in the description of the original gun's history:
escaped from her captors by killing them in the night, taking a musket and other plunder and fleeing in their canoe.
Is this an original example of the elusive canoe gun? :hmm: :haha:

Mike Brooks said:
escaped from her captors by killing them in the night, taking a musket and other plunder and fleeing in their canoe.

Va.Manuf.06 said:
:hmm: They don't mention shooting the canoe.... :wink:

"The arm was designed to represent an Indian musket taken by Hannah Duston"

Hmmm, doesn't say she shot the NDNs either, so what kind of gun could this be? :stir:

J.D. said:
Mike Brooks said:

Va.Manuf.06 said:
:hmm: They don't mention shooting the canoe.... :wink:

"The arm was designed to represent an Indian musket taken by Hannah Duston"

Hmmm, doesn't say she shot the NDNs either, so what kind of gun could this be? :stir:

A really neat one? :v

What was the thought behind the rounded buttplate? I have a cheek-stocked Japanese matchlock & find that surprisingly comfortable, so I'm sure this feature must serve some purpose, just haven't noticed a stock like the one pictured before.
Thx.

arquebus said:
What was the thought behind the rounded buttplate? I have a cheek-stocked Japanese matchlock & find that surprisingly comfortable, so I'm sure this feature must serve some purpose, just haven't noticed a stock like the one pictured before.
Thx.

I wondered about that too. One possible answer might be to facilitate different holds based on the firing position. I've only seen this done with stocks very recently though. Currently our soldiers overseas seem to like to shoulder their rifles with just the toe of the buttstock touching their shoulders. Apparently this gives them a more natural, heads up position when shooting offhand. When they go to the prone however they brace the stock in the conventional manner. While this seems to work fine with an M4, I wouldn't want to try it with a rifle that had some real recoil. Perhaps the rounded stock allows the shooter the same variable hold without pounding the toe of the stock into ones shoulder.

Back