• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thanks to the Forum for helping me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I finally (looks like anyway) got my smoothbore figured out - I have a good cheek weld and consistent sight picture and a load that seems to work great.

My load is actually interesting - 80 gr FFFg with a .15 pillow tick patch and .600 RB - I shot it great yesterday.

Today I went out and shot a 5 shot string off hand at 50 yds 4 shots measured 3 X 2" a little high but still fine. The other was 3" off the main group to the right.

Then I cleaned the gun throughly and shot 10 shots at 50 yds off hand - 9 of 10 were on the target with one just off and low (hang fire) 8 shots in a group measuring 4.5 X 4" and one when I was feeling really froggy I attempted a head shot - and hit it.

:thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Thanks a bunch guys.

Keith

That is great. But that was today, smoothies can be very humbling, good luck your next outing :rotf:

Sounds really good ! And it will only get better with time and practice...This is what it is all
about! Fun aint it? Gets expensive too, but it ya wanna Play ya gotta pay! :rotf:

Glad you found the sweet spot, that sounds pretty close to what my NStarr West NW gun used to like,
what type of smoothy are you shooting?

Bobby Christian 20 ga Fowler with a 42" Garner barrel - Queen Anne lock, iron furniture.

Posted pics of it some time back. :hatsoff:

Don't hesitate to try a .018" patch, and different lubes, and try cleaning between each shot, to see if you can't improve the group size, and get rid of the flyers. You are just beginning, but its very nice to see you seeing some success. You didn't think that just a little change in the thickness of your patch, or an slight increase in powder charge would have such an effect, now, did you?

Also, try using a filler, or OP wad under that PRB. You might be surprise at how much that will improve your groups sizes. Same with lubing the barrel after running the PRB down onto your powder charge.

Hello Keith,

congratulations. One quick question. Did you use cushion wads or only the patched ball? What lube did you use?

Best regards

Just patched ball with saliva. I really appreciate all the suggestions. I do try other things but in the end the loads I use for shooting - whether just at paper or other stuff - have to be able to fit in my hunting pouch - plus a cartridge box. Accuracy is important to me - but being able to load and shoot out of the bag like the original scouts did is just as important.

What I find amazing/interesting - is that so far the overall most accurate load is also the simplist one. Kinda refreshing actually. :thumbsup:

Regards;

Keith (Dan'l Hickham) Hickam

One can pick up on loading from the bag pretty quickly after trying a few different positions of horn, bag, balls and such that offers the most comfortable sequencing of the steps, then practice will improve the time between shots,I like loose balls and patches in the bottom of the bag, by feel I grab one of each after charging the bore, slobber a bit on the patch and thumb down the P&B ram it home prime from main horn and shoot, I can recall the first few times I went from tackle box to bag it seemed like I was all thumbs and could not find anything, but I had tried to put nearly everything I owned in the bag...now when hunting or walking along plinking I often carry a small 4"x6" bag with patches and balls and don't even open the main bag except to knapp or change flints, sometimes I just carry some balls and patches in my Weskit pocket.one can shoot or hunt for a day with just the space two such pockets provide and not even carry a shooting bag....but carrying a bag looks much cooler...

"but being able to load and shoot out of the bag like the original scouts did is just as important."

Ditto :thumbsup:

Confidence grows.

I went out and shot 10 shots - 5 off hand from 25 yds and 5 off hand at 35 yds.

Results - 4 shots touching a little low and right and one at 6 oclock 1/2" low, but still in the black from 25 yds.

35 yds I had all 5 in the black with 2 shots touching and one cutting the X ring, one 3/4" low at 6 oclock and one at 11 oclock 3/4" from bull.

Getting better

Very Good...very good indeed from off hand!
if you get more and more refined with your load and aiming technique you targets will show it.
Smoothbores are Loads 'o Fun...
why dosent everyone own one?

Just thought I would show pics of the gun and the latest targets I have shot with the gun.

100_1737.jpg

100_1735.jpg

shoot.html

Lookin' good, glad things fell into place quickly for you.

Latest posts

Back