• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The ‘Janka’ wood hardness scale

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had not seen this before, although I knew such a scale existed. It would be great if we could find one of all the typical gun woods, including the woods varieties like sugar maple or such.

Anyways, I thought it was interesting and that others might like to see it too!

IMG_3076.jpeg

Personally I think the janka scale is a rough guide. I cut and mill quite a bit of South Texas hardwoods. post oak, live oak, pecan/hickory, mesquite, ironwood all, huisatche(an Acacia), Osage orange(Bodark) to name a few. There are variances between trees in hardness within the particular species. I prefer to cut/mill green as it's much easier on tooling. When left to dry some of these species get very very hard and take a sharp cutting edge to dull very quickly. The ironwood is the hardest I machine. With a sharp edge the finish is like a polished surface.
I find wood interesting and beautiful and love working with it. There are pros cons with all species of wood. Typical gunstock wood is in the middle of the road in hardness and is a little forgiving free of knots, tight grain and abundant and inexpensive.

I had not seen this before, although I knew such a scale existed. It would be great if we could find one of all the typical gun woods, including the woods varieties like sugar maple or such.

Anyways, I thought it was interesting and that others might like to see it too!

View attachment 357702
How dies it work? Do you have to drive the ball in, or what?

Back