• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you think that modern ML firearms have any investment value?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking from 6+decades as a former custom builder, competitive shooter & avid collector of antique firearms, yes these can be a very good investments if your experienced with shooting antique firearms.
If not well experienced in collecting & shooting, buy from a trusted source or get advice from someone who is qualified.

** I Personally do not shoot antique firearms that are in mint condition, those get sold to collectors who just display them.

Bottom line, the decades of thrills wife & I have had at rendezvous, hunting, & competing with historical firearms far exceeds any thrills I've had over making a fast buck.

*I do not recommend any of the above to those who are not prepared to provide meticulous care of historical firearms for the next generation to enjoy.
Relic shooter

guns are like silver, it is a way to hold value but not a good way to make money
a TC Hawken in good condition will always have value, but it will never really become such a hot item that it increases in value

A muzzle loading gun made by a well noted custom maker will hold its value and will be worth more to someone who knows their value. Same is true with modern guns - Colt for example. Any Colt is worth more now than a few years ago. I was offered a lightly used Colt Anaconda for $200 back in 1985 - I passed because it was something I did not want or need. I also passed on a as new used 4" Colt Diamondback at $190 in 1986 - check the prices of any snake gun now a days. I still regret not buying these two revolvers to this day.

I have a few new in box guns that I will pass on to my son and let him decide what he wants to do with them. For now, I like the thought of having them in my collection and admire them from time to time. Same with my knife collection both folding and fix bladed ones. One does not collect for the thought of selling for a profit but for the enjoyment. ;).

I consider them to be an investment in my own future. Buy a few muzzleloaders now when I have more income and less time to have in a retired future (hopefully) when I have less income and more time. Then hope to pass them down to children or grandchildren.

Back