• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The 1792 Contract Rifle.....Lewis and Clark C. of D..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zampilot

40 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, there seem to be at least two distinct, strong, disagreeing sides to what Lewis And Clark took or recieved from Harpers Ferry. I didnt want to hijack another thread.
SO, many of you have seen the Tait article from Man At Arms, June 1999. Is it fact, fantasy, wishfull thinking, completely wrong ? Factual ? More believable than any other research? I'd like to read opinions while keeping it civil because, as Swampy stated: we will never know for sure!!!
Here's a starter : maybe the 'short rifles' found in references were simply repaired breech-blows?

zampilot said:
OK, there seem to be at least two distinct, strong, disagreeing sides to what Lewis And Clark took or recieved from Harpers Ferry. I didnt want to hijack another thread.
SO, many of you have seen the Tait article from Man At Arms, June 1999. Is it fact, fantasy, wishfull thinking, completely wrong ? Factual ? More believable than any other research? I'd like to read opinions while keeping it civil because, as Swampy stated: we will never know for sure!!!
Here's a starter : maybe the 'short rifles' found in references were simply repaired breech-blows?

Breech blows? You will have to elaborate.

They either used 1803 prototypes or they used shortened 1792s. There is little other in the way of options. I see arguing about it as pointless.
Neither side has any proof to confront the other with. Its supposition.

I think Tait makes the weaker case compared to Keller/Cowan.
In order to assume that the guns were shortened due to damage or wear we would have to assume that a considerable number were so.
Honestly its hard enough to make statements about the firearms of the expedition *after* reading the complete Journals and the magazine articles. Man at Arms #6 1999, The American Rifleman, May 1985, and he Keller-Cowen piece in "We Proeeded On" May 2006. Adding "maybe the guns were wore out" does not wash since repairs are generally, it would seem, noted in the journal. They have 2 that required lock repair/replacement and 2 that burst apparently past the forend. One of the officers personal rifles was freshed. This is all that comes to mind concerning firearms.
Lewis was shot with one.
If the barrels required shortening from the breech I would think it would be mentioned.
If they were bad at HF and then repaired why would Lewis pick faulty rifles from the racks and racks of those available when he could pick the cream and have these modified to suit?

Dan

Obviously I don't know what went on when the guns were selected however I don't think they were less intelligent than I am.

Given the choice between some existing guns that were used by the common troops and reworked to shorten the barrel and replace the locks, or newly made guns made at the arsenal, there is no doubt in my mind that I would choose the newly made guns.

After all, I would be intending to spend an unknown amount of time thousands of miles from any civilized place and I would want every part to be new.

I would also want the spare locks to be totally interchangeable with the locks on my new guns and unless refurbishing the older "used guns" meant restocking them so that they would accept a common lock size and shape that wouldn't be possible with the 1792's.

Zonie said:
Obviously I don't know what went on when the guns were selected however I don't think they were less intelligent than I am.

Given the choice between some existing guns that were used by the common troops and reworked to shorten the barrel and replace the locks, or newly made guns made at the arsenal, there is no doubt in my mind that I would choose the newly made guns.

After all, I would be intending to spend an unknown amount of time thousands of miles from any civilized place and I would want every part to be new.

I would also want the spare locks to be totally interchangeable with the locks on my new guns and unless refurbishing the older "used guns" meant restocking them so that they would accept a common lock size and shape that wouldn't be possible with the 1792's.

Thats about my take too.

As I have mentioned in another of these L&C rifle discussions its a shame they didn't take more photographs :rotf:

Dan

Dan Phariss said:
Zonie said:

Thats about my take too.

As I have mentioned in another of these L&C rifle discussions its a shame they didn't take more photographs :rotf:

Dan

I'm going to disagree here. I'm going to want a proven rifle. Nearly 3500 rifles were ordered between the original contract of 1792 and the secondary contract of 1794. I've heard rifles were still being delivered as late as 1798 - 1800. Even if they had chosen guns actually made in 1792, they would only have been 10 years old and many had never been issued. So in effect the would have been "new" with a proven design.

Mark, take the following into consideration:

"The M1792 Contract rifles had been a hit or miss proposition, there were many problems with them and many complaints from the field. Some contractors did fairly well and others did fairly poor work. Among the problems was poor quality locks, badly breached barrels, poor quality rifling and substandard wood. There was variation in quality of guns delivered by all of the contractors so there was enough blame to go around."

In the above I am quoting myself in an early thread on the subject. The 1792 Contract rifles were largely unsatisfactory and had proven to be substandard to military needs. True, many fine makers were involved in making contract rifles for the government but none did a sterling job across the board. And the rifles were largely issued to state troops, not Federal regulars, so discipline and care of the rifles (and other equipment) was lacking causing the outright loss of many and often unnecessary damage through carelessness. Many of the rifles in storage at Harpers Ferry were not in what you would call excellent condition, even those that had not been issued were generally considered substandard. The Federal government was developing plans for a new standard rifle and the L&C Corps of Discovery may well have gotten the prototypes or at least extensively re-worked Contract rifles

Va.Manuf.06 said:
Mark, take the following into consideration:

"The M1792 Contract rifles had been a hit or miss proposition, there were many problems with them and many complaints from the field. Some contractors did fairly well and others did fairly poor work. Among the problems was poor quality locks, badly breached barrels, poor quality rifling and substandard wood. There was variation in quality of guns delivered by all of the contractors so there was enough blame to go around."

In the above I am quoting myself in an early thread on the subject. The 1792 Contract rifles were largely unsatisfactory and had proven to be substandard to military needs. True, many fine makers were involved in making contract rifles for the government but none did a sterling job across the board. And the rifles were largely issued to state troops, not Federal regulars, so discipline and care of the rifles (and other equipment) was lacking causing the outright loss of many and often unnecessary damage through carelessness. Many of the rifles in storage at Harpers Ferry were not in what you would call excellent condition, even those that had not been issued were generally considered substandard. The Federal government was developing plans for a new standard rifle and the L&C Corps of Discovery may well have gotten the prototypes or at least extensively re-worked Contract rifles

All great points, and ones I have considered. At the time of Clark's visit to HF, folks put the number of rifles on hand at 300-500. Clark only chose 15. Certainly out of that many rifles, he would have come up with 15 that fit the bill.

I can tell you when I was in there service, using the same gear from different suppliers/vendors you could usually tell the difference in quality as well. Some vendors just met government standards, while some exceeded them. I suppose things haven't changed all that much since Clark's day.

I know reenactors who do Lewis and Clark. Most of the ones I know talk of the discrepancy in which rifle was taken and I think that's great.

There's certainly evidence supporting both rifles, the fact is we may never know. After everything I've read though, I tend to support the contract rifle theory.

Mark Painter said:
Dan Phariss said:
Zonie said:

Thats about my take too.

Dan

I'm going to disagree here. I'm going to want a proven rifle. Nearly 3500 rifles were ordered between the original contract of 1792 and the secondary contract of 1794. I've heard rifles were still being delivered as late as 1798 - 1800. Even if they had chosen guns actually made in 1792, they would only have been 10 years old and many had never been issued. So in effect the would have been "new" with a proven design.

Please cite the "unproven" parts on the 1803.
This is the least viable argument since there are no such things. The key part of the flintlock is the lock and it is very possible that any 1792s taken would have had new HF locks.
"They had lots of them and they were there" is a better and the most compelling argument.

This is just not resolvable to the extent some people would like. For all we know HF had a FS short rifle around as a prototype. The records are not good enough to give us any real information.
In reading either Tait, Olson or Keller-Cowan you will find factual errors or things that at least are questionable.
Keller-Cowan quote the "creatively enhanced" journals when describing the repairs done on "Drewyer's" and Pryor's rifles which says something different than the edition of Journals I have.

Dan

Page 43 of the Men At Arms issue has a pic of a 'shorter rifle', a 1794, shortened from the breech end taking away the barrel signature, Breech blow/cracked breech, there was a reason the shorten it at the breech end.

Interesting, usually a "blown breach" will damage, even destroy the stock as well. Not to mention what it would do to the shooter. The "shortened rifles" would more likely have been shortened at the muzzle end or possibly been deliberately shortened at the breach because of erosion of the bore, a fairly common occurrence with soft iron barrels.

Maybe one the the craftsmen/armorers at HF with the power to do so made a few modifications to existing rifle, having got wind of the coming design changes? Why cut at the breech unless there was a reason to do all that breech-end work again?

Zonie said:

I don't have anything here to tell me who picked up the rifles, although I was under the impression from earlier reading that it was Lewis instead of Clark. I had read somewhere (can't remember where) that Lewis picked up the arms when he took delivery of his boat frame. But, no matter who it was, does anyone know exactly when he took delivery of the rifles? That may help a little in figuring this out.

It is noted that a small quantity of full stock rifles may have been made experimentally at the Ferry in 1800 or 1801 but the War Deptartment didn't issue an official directive for the short rifle until May 25th 1803. At this time the Secretary of War told Perkin (the Superintendent at Harpers Ferry) that he was dissatisfied with the weapons currently issued to the regular troops and wanted a new rifle. He specified a rifle "shorter in length, half stocked and of heavier caliber". This would become the M1803.

In late November, 1803 Perkin submitted several patterns to the War Dept. for inspection. (According to a table I have there were 4 pattern rifles completed in 1804 instead of 1803 which would throw the following scenario out of kilter).After the pattern used was chosen, an order for 2000 stand of this model was issued. I don't know when production actually started, but it would have been at least December before the armory would have gotten the go-ahead and probably January or February before the first rifles were put into store. The order for this model was increased to 4,000, but mechanical troubles and malaria outbreaks slowed production and the last rifles were not completed until February of 1807. Also, according to this table, there were 772 M1803 Rifles turned into store in the year 1804. So, after probably March or so, there most likely would have been enough M1803 rifles on hand to arm Lewis and Clark's men.

Col. Gluckman in his book "Identifying Old US Muskets, Rifles and Carbines", states that these are the rifles issued to the Corps of Discovery. They very well could have been although they would have been untried arms. (Or at least minimally tested). But, the Army already knew of the dissatisfaction with the earlier common rifles and were willing to take the chance.

As for interchangeability, there was none at this time. Even with the M1803, which was known to be more finely finished than any other at the time, each part was handmade, using crude jigs and fixtures. Spare parts in the rough would have been issued to the expedition and Shields would have had to fit them to the broken weapon. That would not take an experienced armorer or smith very long to do, even using limited tools and we know that they had what was needed. But at least there was probably more uniformity with these rifles than was available with the earlier common rifles.

I don't know if this shed any light or not. I may have just confused the issue more.

Much controversy still surrounds the question of which rifle equipped the Lewis & Clark expedition, the M1792 comission rifle, or the M1803 (or M1800) Harpers Ferry "short" rifle. Below, in Meriwether Lewis' own hand, we have a telling clue.

On March 20, 1806, as the expedition is just about to leave Ft. Clatsop, Lewis writes,

"The guns of Drewyer and Sergt. Pryor were both out of order. the first was repared with a new lock, the old one having become unfit for uce; the second had the cock screw broken which was replaced by a duplicate which had been made prepared for the lock at Harpers ferry where she was manufactured. but for the precaution taken in bringing on those extra locks, and parts of locks, in addition to the ingenuity of John Shields, most of our guns would at this moment be entirely unfit for use; but fortunately for us I have it in my power here to record that they are all in good order."

In the early 19th century, it was not uncommon at all for a rifleman to refer to his weapon as "she". Lewis does it here, not in reference to the lock as one would at first suppose, but to the rifle to which it was fitted, as pieces and parts of a rifle were not referred to using the personal pronoun. He writes, ". . . at Harpers ferry, where she was manufactured." As no M1792 comission rifles were manufactured at the Harper's ferry arsenal between 1792 and 1800 (as it did not yet exist as a manufactory) I think that we can pretty much rule out the use by the Expedition of any rifle other than the "short" rifle, the progenitor of the M1803.

Per the previously mentioned Keller & Cowan article.

Mar 16 1803 Meriwether Lewis arrives at HF
Apr 14 1803 Meriwether Lewis leaves HF
Apr 20 1803 Meriwether Lewis letter that rifle production well under way.
May 25,1803 Sec of War Henry Dearborn letter re specifics of M1803
Jul 08 1803 Meriwether Lewis letter to Jefferson saying he test fired the guns. May have taken delivery?
Dec 02 1803 Dearborn letter with recommended changes to existing model.

Lock plates were marked with year of manufacture.
Existing rifles with serial numbers in the 700's have an 1803 date.

Also, the curious official records of the number of 1st run "M1803" produced... 4,015
4,000 by Sec Dearborn letters and 15 others. :hmm:

As previously mentioned there was no official designation "M1803". Seems to me that when in the Journals they say "Short Rifle" they are in effect specifically identifying the "M1803".

zampilot said:
Maybe one the the craftsmen/armorers at HF with the power to do so made a few modifications to existing rifle, having got wind of the coming design changes? Why cut at the breech unless there was a reason to do all that breech-end work again?

Quite simply, due to erosion that caused the enlargement of the bore at the breach causing the ball to shed it's patch when fired. It was a common problem with "soft" iron barrels of the period and it is often seen on early guns of all types. Wear also occurred at the muzzle caused by erosion from loading and cleaning and some barrels with particularly long use show having been shortened at both ends, though shortening at the muzzle is more common.

All of the above being true, and since rifles made under the Contracts of 1792 were relatively new at the time, it is more likely that they were shortened at the muzzle end IF (and it is a big IF) the L & C rifles were indeed shortened and re-locked Contract Rifles. As I and others have said before, we will likely never know which was carried.

The M1792 v. M1800 rifle controversy continues, but Capt. Meriwether Lewis himself gives us a strong clue. On March 20, 1806, as the Expedition was preparing to depart Ft. Clatsop, Lewis wrote,

"The guns of Drewyer and Sergt. Pryor were both out of order. the first was repared with a new lock, the old one having become unfit for uce; the second had the cock screw broken which was replaced by a duplicate which had been made prepared for the lock at Harpers ferry where she was manufactured. but for the precaution taken in bringing on those extra locks, and spare parts of locks, in addition to the ingenuity of John Shields, most of our guns would at this moment be entirely unfit for use; but fortunately for us I have it in my power here to record that they are all in good order."

Note Lewis' use of the personal pronoun "she". It was quite common at the time to refer to one's musket or rifle in just this way. Parts and pieces thereof were not generally given this small term of endearment. Lewis was referring here to the entire rifle, not just the lock, which, in his own words, was Harpers Ferry manufactured.

The M1792s were comission rifles, that is, "comissioned" by the US government, and manufacured under contract by 17 different makers from 1792 to 1800. The arsenal at Harpers ferry had, in 1800, not yet turned out its first rifle.

zampilot said:
Page 43 of the Men At Arms issue has a pic of a 'shorter rifle', a 1794, shortened from the breech end taking away the barrel signature, Breech blow/cracked breech, there was a reason the shorten it at the breech end.

This was not uncommon but to assume that Lewis picked out 15 rifles with such failures is a stretch.
Especially when he could have had brand new rifles made and no questions asked.

Dan

Dan Phariss said:
Mark Painter said:
Dan Phariss said:
Zonie said:
Keller-Cowan quote the "creatively enhanced" journals when describing the repairs done on "Drewyer's" and Pryor's rifles which says something different than the edition of Journals I have.

Dan

I posted an error here. Tait was playing word games and I got Lewis's words mixed in my head with what Coues had written.
K&C are quoting the exact words of Lewis according to Moulton and Thwaites.
Coues DID change the wording but only to "...where the gun itself had been manufactured".
Tait attempts to muddy the water in the second page of his 1792 Contract Rifle piece by inferring that Coues was fundamentally in error with this editing. I think that while he changes the words he does not change the meaning. Tait was very "smart" in not including the text as it appears in Thwaites and Moulton since this would have seriously damaged his case for the 1792. This little trick casts Tait in a bad light.

I had to go back and read my Thwaites edition again to get myself straight on this entry, something I should have done before posted what I did.
In Thwaites, it is stated that the edition he did was directly from the original Journals with *no changes*.

Dan

I would also want the spare locks to be totally interchangeable with the locks on my new guns and unless refurbishing the older "used guns" meant restocking them so that they would accept a common lock size and shape that wouldn't be possible with the 1792's

Spare locks were taken and of what around 400 1792s in storage they couldn't find 15 that would interchange locks? I find that very hard to believe.

Back