• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The 2 Bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heinrich

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me more about the 2-bore muzzle loader?? :confused:

I know that it shoots a RB of approx 3500gr, to deliver about 17,500ft/lbs of energy 10 yards from the barrel. Recoil is approx 400ft/lbs of energy alone. Nominal diameter of the RB will be 33,75mm.

I want to know more than that.

Pictures of any of these crazy guns??

The 2 Bore, or " gauge " is 1.325 " in caliber. YOu saw these kind of guns made as " Punt " guns, mounted with a swivel to the transom of a flatboat using an oarlock, and used to shoot flocks of ducks on the rivers, and in bays, rather than as a shoulder arm. I suppose you might find a 2-bore used in Africa in the mid 1800s for shooting dangerous game, but the weight of the gun and the recoil would make it almost counter productive. I have heard or read stories of 4 bores used in hunting African Game, but do not recall hearing of anything larger being used. The 4 bores were brutal enough.

In the Muzzleloading Handbook by Fadala he mentions William Moores 2 bore shoulder buster. It generated :shocked2: 17,000 ft/lbs of energy. In the book he has a whole chapter devoted to the guns and hunters of Africa durring the mid 1800's.

paulvallandigham said:
I have heard or read stories of 4 bores used in hunting African Game, but do not recall hearing of anything larger being used. The 4 bores were brutal enough.

He Paul.
Found something interessting:
Generally the rifles were relatively small bores, either military muskets (.577 & .720") or civilian 8, 10 and 12 bores whilst huge single barrelled 6 and 4 bore smooth-bores were carried for dangerous game.
Here the link for Guns of the Pioneers
Link
:hatsoff:

I am sure we are reading either the same sources, or quotes from similar sources. Notice no mention of the 2 bore. I have only seen one reference to this cannon, and it was a punt gun used by commercial duck hunters for shooting flocks. Since everything was used or tried in shooting Elephants, and other African Game, I am sure that someone, somehow, used a 2-bore off the shoulder to shoot an Elephant. I don't think this gun's Round Ball would weight 8 oz. but it could have weighed 4 oz. Even out of a fairly short barreled gun, built like a Jaeger, we are talking about a gun weighing 30 lbs. or more. Ever bit of that weight would be needed, I might add, to prevent your shoulder from being broken, alond with the stock. In those days, the barrels would have been iron, not steel, so you would want the barrel to be at least 2 inches across the flats, and probably more. A 30 inch barrel would shoot a maximum of 475 grains of powder in that caliber.

By comparison, Geoge Mitchell's .69 caliber Slug gun weighted 100 lbs. He shot a 2-piece bullet, paper patched, with 350 grains of powder. I don't recall the exact weight of the bullet. However, his 100 lb gun would dislocate or break your shoulder if you did not hold it really firm to your shoulder. And, that barrel was something like 6 inches across the flats. He brought it to my club in the back of his SUV on a 2 wheel cart, strapped to it, and I helped him unload it, take it to our meeting room, and lift it up onto a display rack on a table for our members to view. The False Muzzle for the thing weighed more than 20 lbs! His velocity, BTW, was 1050 fps. measures 20 feet from the muzzle, because putting a chronograph any closer to the muzzle would cause false reading from the concussion waves that hit the screens. At the time, that was the largest caliber slug gun then in existence. someone else has since made another .69 caliber gun like it, and George let someone buy his gun. I watched him fire the thing at Friendship, and it was a trip. Even with earplugs, the blast got your attention, along with everyone within 100 feet on the firing line. He would call out when he was ready to shoot, so that people could pause or leave the firing line and cover their ears.

I served on the crew that serviced a 6 lb. Light field Cannon, and its the only gun I have been around that put out that kind of concussion wave. I would have no interest in shooting a 2 bore, except with light, blank loads. I have bruised my shoulder and rattled my teeth enough in this life to let someone else have that honor with such a gun. :surrender:

paulvallandigham said:
By comparison, Geoge Mitchell's .69 caliber Slug gun weighted 100 lbs. He shot a 2-piece bullet, paper patched, with 350 grains of powder. I don't recall the exact weight of the bullet. However, his 100 lb gun would dislocate or break your shoulder if you did not hold it really firm to your shoulder. And, that barrel was something like 6 inches across the flats. He brought it to my club in the back of his SUV on a 2 wheel cart, strapped to it, and I helped him unload it, take it to our meeting room, and lift it up onto a display rack on a table for our members to view. The False Muzzle for the thing weighed more than 20 lbs! His velocity, BTW, was 1050 fps. measures 20 feet from the muzzle, because putting a chronograph any closer to the muzzle would cause false reading from the concussion waves that hit the screens. At the time, that was the largest caliber slug gun then in existence.

:shocked2: Wow
Paul, is there any pic of that 'Monster'? :hmm:

I don't think so. Unless George has some. He has retired shooting, and closed his Mitchell Optics company because of health issues. He is a fine engineer, and did excellent Machine work on his various lathes and mills in his shop. As with most Slug guns, it was an underhammer, with a device used to fire pistol primers. On top, he could mount peep sights, or a scope. He used a 3-ring scope mount of his own design and manufacture, and a scope he made.

You can imagine just how fatiguing it would be to lift up and put down a rifle that weighs 100 lbs. just to load and shoot it. Of course, he had his own custom bench made for the gun. He showed us a target shot at 500 yards that had 10 shots in a group that measured 5.26 ", with 7 of the ten shot in a group about 3.5 inches, and 3 shots clustered off the main group at 10:30 O'clock, that opened the group. I asked him how the wind affected the bullets, and he said he could not see any difference until the wind was at least 25 mph and coming from either 3 or 9 o'clock! ( I therefore think that the reason for the two different POI for the group was due to the shooter focusing on the crosshairs for most of the shots, and focusing on the bullseye for the other three. Its a typical problem for scope users, which includes me!) To get that group at 500 yards, I am sure that all 10 shots would have made a hole at one hundred yards that would be less than one inch. I don't think George bothered to shoot the gun at anything less than 200 yards!

Oh, I almost forgot. The Smithsonian got wind of George's rifle, somehow, and asked him for a bullet for their collection. He sent them one. The bullet was made from an alloy " Nose " that had a rounded ogive similar in shape to the .22 LR rimfire target bullet( 40 grs.) That is the most accurate design for subsonic bullets. The bottom section was made from pure lead. The two pieces are held together by paper patching, lubed with oil. His False Muzzle has an " X " machined in the top to allow two strips of paper to be laid in those grooves, then a washer is put on top of them to hold them down and provide a little tension as the bullet is seated into the false muzzle, pulling the strips around the bullet in the process. A Lever system using two hooks on each side of the barrel, that catch on short trunions machined at the muzzle of the gun, on the two side flats, pushes the bullet, now patched, into the barrel. The False muzzle is removed, and a range rod with a muzzle protector is used to drive the bullet down onto the powder charge. The patching is cut by the rifling as the bullet moves out of the barrel, leaving confetti in the air about 10 feet from the muzzle. The cloud of smoke from 350 grains of BP is something to be seen. Only a cannon can compete.

I've been lucky enough to shoot a 4bore plenty times, since I know more than one member of our club who own original 4bore smootbore muzzleloaders.

I'm looking for pictures of 2bore smoothbores, but not punt guns. But as you guys also confirmed, I cannot find 100% proof that these guns were used.

I know that there is suppose to be a 2bore shoulder cannon in a private collection in Bloemfontein.

That reminds me on one of the pics from Davy.
bg.jpg

John's squirrel medicine! All 50 some odd lbs of it!
How must look a gun of 100lbs :shocked2:
7 of the ten shot in a group about 3.5 inches at 500 yards. :bow:

Too bad i never saw that 'Gunzilla'
:haha:

chapter said:
Would a 'wall gun' be the same thing? Or is that more of a seige weapon?

Here is Roy with a Wall Gun. Can you imagine to take that gun on a hunt? :hmm: :surrender:
IMG_2766.jpg

that has a 1" bore and the gun I believe weighed right around 35lbs. :v

I know a guy whose collection is of only wall guns, the largest being approx 4bore, smallest about a 20bore.

They differ vastly in design, and size.

I think the myth of the two bore in Africa is perpetuated by the writings of Samuel White Baker which describe his using a half pound slug. Of course, it was a conical and being flung from a four bore. I own an eight bore made by Jim Gefroh in Colorado and it is as much fun as I really need and will do just fine for eveything that walks this planet.
[url] www.gefrobigbores.com[/url]

Best,

John

Last edited by a moderator:
One letter omitted in the above-posted Gefroh link. This one works:
[url] http://www.gefrohbigbores.com/[/url]

All I'm gonna say is, "Ouch!" :surrender: :shake:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was under the impression that Sir Samuel Bakers two bore rifle was made by Holland and Holland and fired a "half pound explosive ball"?

Back