• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The 2 Bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Samuel Bakers gun was a 4 bore that fired a 3500gr explosive slug he called the gun "baby" It was also said that every time he fired "baby" it gave him a bloody nose. Because of the weight of the slug people assumed it was a two bore

Buffler Runner said:
I think the myth of the two bore in Africa is perpetuated by the writings of Samuel White Baker which describe his using a half pound slug. Of course, it was a conical and being flung from a four bore. I own an eight bore made by Jim Gefroh in Colorado and it is as much fun as I really need and will do just fine for eveything that walks this planet.
[url] www.gefrobigbores.com[/url]

Best,

John

I think you're right! :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
October Country makes, or made (not sure if the new owners are making them), 8 and 4 bore rifles...single shot in both calibers and a double 8. The Gun Works also had a 4 bore on their site recently (haven't looked tonight). Can't recall a 2 bore being made by current gunsmiths but that's not a definitive statement. Anything's possible.

Woops, sorry about the bad link and my apologies to Jim for the misspelling of his name.

Back to the topic at hand, October Country did make 8 and 4 bore rifles but I am under the impression that this is no longer the case. Anyway, it is no huge loss as they were priced similarly to Jim's work and the quality is FAR superior from Mr. Gefroh. I'm actually chatting with him now to possibly make a pistol to match my Jaeger. :)

Here's a photo of me shooting the 8 bore with a "mild" 200 grain load of Swiss FF. :) Seriously, you don't get that "Gee, I need an aspirin" feeling until 270 grains! :)

Best,

John

recoil.jpg

Back