• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The $400.00 knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claude,
As sad as it is they are probably worth the
price if that is what you need to do your job.(and that job would not be hunting or skinning) I would think in Japan
that would be very resonable. IMO
snake-eyes :hmm:

hobbles,
You are absolutely right....The thing is i have
never complained about the $1200...That's why she smiles
everytime she refers to him as my dog. Your right my wife
is very, very safe as long as that dog is alive( growls
when i kiss her). But he knows not to cross the line, and
in all honesty he is most likely the best house dog i have
ever had for a Lab.
Over my years i have probably owned 100+ dogs,
and one thing i have learned is you can train them to hunt,
obey and behave, but like a person you cannot make them
like you. I'm sure horses are much the same. Sometimes you
connect and sometimes you don't..IMO
snake-eyes :hmm:

hobbles,
GOOD LUCK!!!!!
We will exspect a hunting report...
snake-eyes :thumbsup:

I've seen some fine knives here. My Bowie was made for me by Ernie Grospitch. Had him put curly maple handles on it and my initials on the plate as an added touch. Don't have any pics...but it can be seen on his site. www.erniesknives.com Mine is the "Kansas" Bowie...second one down...only one on there with curly maple handles and initials on the plate.

Claude,
As sad as it is they are probably worth the
price if that is what you need to do your job.

I believe there's a human element to valuing something that is sometimes overlooked.

Aesthetics |es??etiks| (also esthetics) a set of principles concerned with the nature and appreciation of beauty, esp. in art.

:agree:Another term that may often be overlooked is ergonomics. It's defined as human engineering in my dictionary, which is "an applied science that coordinates the design of devices, systems, and physical working conditions with the capacities and requirements of the worker."
I've always used the term to simply denote the "comfort factor" of any product, or how good something feels, fits and functions when being used.

Like aesthetics, ergonomics can be subjective and largely unrelated to a product's overall cost or "absolute" quality of it's separate components.

How comfortably a knife grip feels, the suitability of the blade shape for it's purpose, the knife's balance or weight, (or even how well a rifle stock fits) can often be related to price, but not always. I think this term might have a little bit more to do with the idea of functionality than beauty, but both terms can contribute to a person's overall appreciation & satisfaction with an item like a knife.

It's funny how something can look really bad or be of cheap "quality" but still rate rather high on the personal ergonomic scale, i.e. it feels good, fits good and is naturally comfortable to use. :thumbsup:

Grey Wolf,
I have to agree with yea...and most folks here in that the price of the knife is not dependent on much other than is it where you want it when you need it for whatever your needin it for.

I have seen at least one of the high priced knives mentioned here break when they were needed most. The bottom line is if you want to show it off in a display case and it's there when your showing it off to your friends and tellin tales then it was money well spent. If your out in the bush and the blades within your grasp at the moment of truth, then too the money is well spent.

Spending $1.00 or $1000.00 dollars on a "tactical" knife that sits in a case and is never there on my hip at the moment of truth...well I can't say that the money was well spent..rather have a butter knife that sits ready to go when the "tactical" moment arrives.

My one and only display knife is one built for me by a friend, $400.00 worth. It's beaten all to hell, scratched, dinged and in places discolored from 12 months of hard use. I display it now for two reasons: first, my friend built it for me and secondly it was ALWAYS there hanging off my gear when I needed it.

Just my .02 cents... :m2c:

well I've read this post from front to back and that was quite a lot to digest , there were a lot of beutiful knives and I had to agree with some of the opinions from both sides I would love to own some of those high priced customs but then again I've seen some inexpensive utility type knives that could'nt be beat in my 50+ years in fact I was in an antique store a year or so back and bought an old Kabar USN knife blade only for six dollars . I got home and cut a few inches off an old elk antler drilled a hole down the center and put it in a pan of boiling water for about ten minutes then pulled it out and pushed the blade shank into the handle. After it cooled I had the best knife I ever owned I made a nice sheath for it and carry it every day . I just can't leave the house without it . I've got at least 30 other realy nice knives Westerns bokers marples that used to be on my belt when I went out , but they are all collecting dust now . There's nothing like a good knife weather it's high dollar or home made .

Back