• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The .58cal Early Virginia spoke twice today...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
I held off taking any shots Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and lost Thursday due to rain”¦decided today on my 5th vacation day that I’d play whatever cards were dealt to me.

At 8:00am a lone Doe came into view way off through the trees, she slowly wanders through picking up an acorn here and there, stops to watch two squirrels chasing each other”¦comes along a little further and I confirm she’s alone (no fawns)”¦so when she broke 50yds I settled the sights on her heart and touched off the .58cal”¦she swapped ends and sprinted about 25 yards, crashing into a tree dead on her feet. Cleaned and reloaded the Flintlock, went and quietly dragged her to the ladder stand.

Sat back down and had some hot soup”¦by 10:30 I was starting to have thoughts about leaving when I saw movement way off from the same direction the Doe had come”¦a buck with his head down, nose right on her track. When he got to a place where I had a narrow alley through the trees I whistled, he stopped and raised his head, I leveled the Virginia on the point of the shoulder and touched the set trigger”¦he swapped ends, sprinted about 35 yards and piled up in the leaves”¦to be honest I thought he was a little bigger than he turned out to be, but there’s no do-over’s.

Anyhow, officially kicked off the 2010 season, took a photo, then dropped them both off to the family who said they’d take all I could give them this year (just ½ mile down the road from where I hunt) and they should get a good 100lbs usable meat.

The .58cal Early Virginia is so fast and accurate it seems like shooting a center fire rifle.
Load was 100grns Goex 2F, Oxyoke OP wad, .022” Oxyoke lubed patch, Hornady .570” lead ball.

110510-7pointaDoedarkened.jpg

Nice x2! :thumbsup:
Reading these posts gets me primed as my ML season here in Ct. doesn't start till Dec. 8 :( , but goes till Dec. 31st :grin: .

... :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: ...you da' man... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ...

:thumbsup: outstanding....you seem to be in the two deer aday mode. :hatsoff:

Blackfoot said:
Great story, and nice rifle !
How many deer can you harvest in carolina?
In most of the state, 2 buck & 4 Doe tags come with the license, then unlimited extra Doe tags can be had.
(the eastern zone/25% of the state/ has a 4 buck max limit, and the other 2 tags for Does)

very good hunt and beautiful longrifle good way to show hunting in a good light also God bless

:applause: Congratulations, that's one fine morning right there.

This is two years in a row where you shot two on the same day, isn't it?

:hatsoff:
Spot

Flintlock58 said:
"...and ya done a good deed!..."
And I can't tell you how good it makes me feel to give those deer to a family like that...particularly in this ecomony, people out of work, etc. I had actually stopped shooting Does 3-4 years ago because the family I used to drop them all off to moved out of the area...I knocked on a few doors after that but seemed like everybody expected me to deliver them butchered and wrapped in freezer paper.

Well, Monday or Tuesday this week I came out to the road and as I was loading the gear into the blazer, a car slowed down and stopped to talk.
Asked me if I got several would it be possible for me to let them have one deer...told her I'd be glad to and she could have every one I got...I think she thought she'd died and gone to heaven...thanking me over and over, that they could have good Thanksgiving and Chrismas dinners, etc.

I explained that all I'd be doing was stopping at her house and dropping off the whole deer...she didn't bat an eye...said no problem, we know how to dress and butcher them and am glad to get any that we can.

So yes, a deed that helps somebody, and makes me feel good about it too...win-win

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, that is just great! :thumbsup: 2nd of all, hearing your stories of two deer in one morning makes me want to stick a screwdriver in my ear! I haven't actually seen a deer for two seasons now. :idunno: Hopefully this year looks a little more like your outings. :grin:

Congratulations, Roundball - I knew you were going to score again! It's great that you are sharing the meat with those in need. I did the same with some wild boar earlier this year and it sure felt good. I intend to do the same this year.

It sounds like you have more tags available to you - are you going to go for more deer this season?

Back