• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Longrifle sling?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfritz44

32 Cal
Reaction score
I finally pulled the trigger on a Woodsrunner that I hope gets here soon enough to use at the end of December during the dedicated PA flintlock season. This gun will replace my 45 caliber TC Hawkins rifle and will likely accompany me on a bunch of all day hunts.

Because I'll be carrying the gun for a long time in any given hunt, I'd really like to put a period accurate, easily removable sling on the gun to give my arms a rest.

Any suggestions on building on how to build one from scratch or a place to buy one pre made?

Look up finger weaving….😎

This one’s on a bag the strap is made from hemp cordage.
Simple to do if your fingers have decent dexterity… Just a suggestion.👍

10EC8BB5-640B-4353-B1D3-70132042048C.jpeg

There are no period accurate slings for long rifles. American woodsmen despised slings. Even military rifles took until 1814 to finally get swivels, because up to that point rifles didn’t have slings (as far as the ODGs were concerned)

That being said, there are many ways to rig up a simple carry aid for your rifle, and it can be as simple as a piece of rope.

Look up finger weaving….😎

This one’s on a bag the strap is made from hemp cordage.
Simple to do if your fingers have decent dexterity… Just a suggestion.👍

View attachment 351695

A dear friend and reenactor died last year. Before he passed I asked him to make me some finger weaved things (we didn't know he'd pass shortly after). He made me a gourd canteen with finger woven straps and a shotgun sling. I have used both and think of him every time I do.
Finger weaving a sling should work great. Not sure all have the patience or know how to pull it off.

Attachments

• IMG_20240929_222339974.jpg
    IMG_20240929_222339974.jpg
    4.1 MB
  • IMG_20240929_223049511.jpg
    IMG_20240929_223049511.jpg
    2.4 MB
  • IMG_20240929_222339974.jpg
    IMG_20240929_222339974.jpg
    4.1 MB
Thanks for the replies and I may give finger weaving a try.

Of course I may get lazy and just tie a piece of parachute cord to the barrel and trigger guard..... we shall see.

I planned to put a sling on this full stock Hawken build due to its hefty weight. The screw on the forward swivel passes through a lug dovetailed into the barrel. and the swivel lays on the ramrod guide so as to not block the rod channel. Initially I put this woven fabric sling on it but changed to leather as the fabric sling had a stretchy, elastic feel to it that I found undesirable. The leather one has been working out much better.

Now....if only I could find a willing young gun bearer to carry the thing I'd be delighted.

1727699742630.jpeg

I finally pulled the trigger on a Woodsrunner that I hope gets here soon enough to use at the end of December during the dedicated PA flintlock season. This gun will replace my 45 caliber TC Hawkins rifle and will likely accompany me on a bunch of all day hunts.

Because I'll be carrying the gun for a long time in any given hunt, I'd really like to put a period accurate, easily removable sling on the gun to give my arms a rest.

Any suggestions on building on how to build one from scratch or a place to buy one pre made?
As @Clark Badgett mentioned, period slings for rifles were not really "a thing." There are a couple early rifles with accommodations for attaching a sling (really a carrying strap depending on your school of thought regarding rifle shooting) but it wasn't common.
That said, I completely understand the desire. Even if following one of the few early period examples, quick-detach will be tough. The big thing to keep in mind is that the forestock was not meant to be strong enough to support sling use. Unless you tie your forward attachment point around the barrel (which could possibly interfere with sight picture) you risk damaging your stock. For those guns built to have slings on the period the forward loop attachment goes through the stick and through a tenon dovetailed into or soldered onto the barrel and inlet into the wood.

Crazy Crow has a real beauty that will translate from rifle to rifle to rifle. I made one and its great for the rifle its on now. The Crazy Crow gun strap was around $45 and worth every penny. My Woodsrunner enjoys it.

I can almost see a trumpline being used as a sling among others uses..

But with Hostiles in the area…. I think I’ll keep my longrifle close at hand

Crazy Crow has a real beauty that will translate from rifle to rifle to rifle. I made one and its great for the rifle its on now. The Crazy Crow gun strap was around $45 and worth every penny. My Woodsrunner enjoys it.
I second this. The Crazy Crow sling is very good. And it is easily moved from one long gun to another. No swivel hardware needed.

I like that strap and it looks to be something I could make on my own if I'm up for it post Woodsrunner build.

Thanks for the tips.

Thanks for the replies and I may give finger weaving a try.

Of course I may get lazy and just tie a piece of parachute cord to the barrel and trigger guard..... we shall see.
Para cord is really going to dig into your shoulder. Not fun.

Back