• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

the book That Dark and Bloody River

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The book is written by Allan W. Eckert, an Ohio author. He has written a lot of books on a wide variety of subjects. That Dark and Bloody River is one of more recent of his - first published in 1995. Eckert wrote a series of books beginning in late 1960's called the Winning of America series. Bloody River seems to me to be an extention of information in that series. Technically, to answer your question, Eckert's books are considered fiction. However, his books are heavily footnoted and cross referenced and all have what he calls "Amplification Notes". These really make his books come to life. Often these notes are very concise modern day directions to where a particular event took place. His books are considered fiction only because it is not a dry narrative of previously written information or research. He takes his extensive knowledge of history, combines it with research and writes a story that is factually correct in timeline, characters and their actions. Eckert takes his license with dialogue and makes his historical narratives readable. You read the entire Winning of America series and you will be well versed in much of the U.S. struggles thru the Blackhawk wars.

That's my favorite of all his books. Oh to run the hills with Whetzel!! :thumbsup:

Read the Winning of America series several years ago. Enjoyed it very much. Agree with what you say.

I aquired a copy of Dark and Bloody River a couple of years ago on EBAY. Read it through non stop, the way I do all of Eckert's books. Not a primary source, but great history and always a great read.

What I found great about "That Dark and Bloody River" was that Eckert took the time to correct several mistakes that were in "The Frontiersmen" and his other books because he had found new material or clarification on the events.

Regards, Dave

Great book and I have read it two or three times. Alan W. Eckert has written a number of books that are well-researched and amply footnoted. I have read most of his books. All the best...
Gil

When I was first getting started that was the first book I read about the border warfare along the Ohio river valley. I then read the rest of his books. That Dark and Bloody River is without a doubt the most enjoyable book I've ever read. I think Mr. Eckert does a pretty good job as far as being accurate with names, dates, places, battles, ect. During the course of the book the characters interact and carry on conversations with each other which are obviously the writer's words. I think the term "Historical Fiction" would best describe it as it is a mix of both. If you haven't bought this book do so or get it at the Library. If you like this time period it is a must read.

I think this one is probably his best. At least that my opinion. One thing I really like is that he covers some events that happened in my area during the time that my GGGGG Grandfather was a scout and militia Lieutenant.
:front:

I monitor and occasionally contribute on an American history board that is made up mostly of college level academic types. Revisionist history is cut to pieces by this group,and they are a "sticker" for accuracy and primary source material. Eckert has been discussed,and it is the general opinion of the group that he is more than 90% accurate in his writings,and almost all of the members conceed that his writings are a good source of historical facts suitable to read without distorting history.

Back