• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The dogs made me do it!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been suffering from a bad chest cold the last few days, so my two dogs, a Golden Retriever named Kaiah and a "rescue" black lab named Belle have not gotten their normal 3 mile hike to burn off energy. Today they were driving me nuts so I decided to at least get them out in the woods behind the house (rural...so literally many hundreds of uninhabited acres) and since my Virginia Smoothie was loaded up from my hunt 10 days ago, why not take it along in case they treed a squirrel!

It didn't take long and they had a young grey, some of the best eating there is, up a tree. The dogs worked it around to my side of the tree, and the .62 Virginia smoothie loaded with 50 gr of KiK 2F, two lubed felt wads, 1 oz of #6's and two overshot cards did it's work. One nice grey for the pot and my dogs are now laying down taking a nap!

121914 Squirrel Hunt 1 by mdheaser

121914 Squirrel Hunt 3 by mdheaser

Very nice, tis the season for small game. Long live the smoothbore! How you gonna fix that squirrel?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Congrats,nice lookin dogs.My 2 shorthairs are climbing the walls.Can't wait to get out.Yer right about the good eatin.Griz

Beautiful hunting buddies you got there, guy! Great to share time with your gang in the weeds and bushes! :wink: :thumbsup:

wattlebuster said:
Good eats :thumbsup: Beautiful dogs and smoothbore :hatsoff: Who built it? They did a good job

Thanks, everyone, for the compliments.

I bought it very gently used from Track of the Wolf a few years ago. It was built by George Rasche from Dubois, Indiana. The L&R Queen Anne lock initially took a lot of work and cost to get sparking properly but since then it has been a great gun and I'm really enjoying it. If I could only have one gun, this would be it.

silly goose said:
How you gonna fix that squirrel?

In our deer camp last year I brewed up a batch of what I called Spikebuck's three meat wild rice soup. It must have been good because none of the guys stopped at only one bowl! I use Bear Creek creamy wild rice soup mix and just follow the directions, but I add a big helping of squirrel meat that I first boil and remove from the bone, then brown up nice in a skillet with plenty of butter. I season and add that to the soup along with fried up bacon pieces and some chunk chicken.
http://www.bearcreekcountrykitchens.com/soups.php

Hadn't done that before, but I'll certainly make it again!

My longtime favorite has been to put some cut up squirrel in a pressure cooker along with some cream of mushroom soup. Season to your taste. You can add veggies, it you want, as well. After the cooker is rocking cook 15 or 20 minutes and you'll have great squirrel and gravy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, very nicely done. Even the Lord loves a 20ga, he must because so many of them were made. I have 4 of my own, but only one is a muzzle loader, a Pedersoli, SBS. Keep yer powder dry.........Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice!

I like your hunting buddies and they were right to make you do it :wink:

Silex

Back