• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The fat lady sings

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Yesterday marked the end of the possibility of taking a muzzleloader buck this year here in Indiana.

I've had a fun year chasing them around, though, I found myself scratching my head at their antics more often than not.

My best laid plans were met with a seemingly lethargic rut this year. Maybe it was the warm temps or that "Super" moon. :idunno: Once it got cold enough to bring eating to the forefront of their minds, I saw little evidence of it, except, where the doe were concerned.

Whatever the case, I had only one buck near me that really "blew my hair back". :haha: I wrote about it here....the one on the wrong side of a property line :doh: .

Two years in a row of buck-tag soup. It's not bad when seasoned just right. Like many here, I'm finding that the ride is more enjoyable than the destination. That's not to say I didn't hunt my fanny off. I gave it a good go. Lots of fun.

I'm thinking ahead to April already as I had a flock of seventy, yes seventy :shocked2: turkeys come by me this weekend!!!

Good luck to all still after them!

Best regards, Skychief

Thanks SC, It's been real slow here lately. Due to the hot dry weather we had this Fall the plots I planted didn't grow. Now the acorns are gone as well. So what that means is No Food = No Deer. At least I did manage one doe so far,and still have a month of season to go. Maybe one will wander it's way back over on my place soon. :haha:

Sounds like you're well stocked with Turkeys. :thumbsup:

Skychief said:
My best laid plans were met with a seemingly lethargic rut this year.

Same thing I saw here. While I know we had a good buck population on the lease, the rut sign was less than I've seen other years and while I saw bucks, the chase phase seemed very short.

I, too, put a doe in the freezer and called it a year during the late muzzleloader season.

Funny that I also saw a TON of turkeys. One morning I had 30....THIRTY longbeards right on top of me. If we have a mild winter, turkey season should be pretty good.

I took a buck in Virginia's early season, and then one in Pennsylvania's rifle season, both with the flintlock. Since I tagged out in Pennsylvania, there will be no late season for me, but I can still hunt in Virginia's late season which ends January 7th. I'm anxious to get back there an pull the cards from my cameras and see what has been moving.

Other than that, I'm working on a .54 Leman style flintlock.

I'll let the turkey hunting for others, but will snipe a coyote should I get the chance.

Well, the bucks I had behind my house moved beyond the 1K acres I can hunt on. Blame it on the drought. The stream dried up and the deer marched out.
Did manage a small buck in NY, but that only got me 1 of the 3 I could have taken.
Tag soup as an appetizer to go with the limited venison main course.
Look out Snowshoe hares! :cursing:

Well that's a dandy attitude ya got there Skychief! I have until Jan 10th to try and fill my buck tag. Have fun with them birds this Spring! Greg :)

smo said:
Due to the hot dry weather we had this Fall the plots I planted didn't grow. Now the acorns are gone as well. So what that means is No Food = No Deer.

I find just the opposite is true here. When there is little food, the deer travel a lot to try to find some. So around here No Food = More Deer Moving.

That ups my chances of seeing/shooting one.

I've seen nothing so far. What hurts, though, is that where I live (small city) they're hiring professional hunters to arrow deer in order to reduce the number of them in the neighborhoods. Car-deer collisions are up but we can't hunt them ourselves. They're all over the place in my neighborhood.

Interesting hanshi. :hmm:

Here, we instituted "urban" deer hunting areas year's ago. Bowhunting only in very populated areas. It's been quite popular and our hunters are keeping them thinned out.

Best regards, Skychief

Tag soup double yum..!!!!
even tastier with "non residence sauce on top.."
Make mine a double please...
The small game is gonna catch the rath!!!
Hunt On..Sky!

22fowl said:
Hunt On..Sky!

Have no fear 22fowl :nono:

Plenty of coyotes to thin out and some of my favorite hunting of all.......Chasing cottontails with the beagles. Pure Winter-time joy! :thumbsup:

Enjoyed your visit to the lease. Looks like a beautiful piece of ground. I hear a rabbit or two may call it home :hmm: .....Good luck with them.

Best regards, Skychief

Sky..My favorite line to the wife is.."I'll get to it after the hunting season"..That gives her a 6 week window...HaHa!
Have a pheasant chowder recipe that's outstanding with rabbit instead..Great way to enjoy those bunnies.
It ain't over till its over. :grin:

Back