• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The fiasco!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope she stays good, one of my little guys is sick. I was baching it last night and had pizza. Let all my little guy have a bit of crust. May have been too spicy for him. He is eleven this year
Ten degrees this morning here. Opened the door for them about 5am they were so excited to go out, all took a sniff of the air and stepped back. I had to encourage them a bit to make a quick run. It was a quick pee and back in

I, too, grew up in northern New Jersey. Hunted cottontails and pheasant. Here in the Adirondacks it is snowshoe hare and ruffed grouse. And, of course, turkey. The only pheasants around here are on shooting preserves or private clubs. But a ruffed grouse with a flintlock is a great challenge.

After 30" of snow earlier in the week and three inches of rain today, it will be a few days before I venture out with the flintlock.

Enjoy the holidays!

ADK Bigfoot

Late 1950's , coal mines were mostly down , we had to hunt to offset the food budget , and cost of ammo. Ate fresh road kill , picked coal at the slate dumps to heat our home. As a kid , I didn't notice we were poor. Dad was a psycho long range ground hog hunter in summer. Farmers were happy to see him drive up as their livestock would go lame falling in g/hog holes The folks living across the street were extremely happy to get the excess ground hogs we brought home to feed their four teen age kids. Wish I would have had a serviceable muzzleloader back then. They were non-existent then , in shootable shape. Literally no body had a clue how they worked. Twenty years later, that all changed with the advent of a m/l deer season in Pa.. ..........oldwood

I, too, grew up in northern New Jersey. Hunted cottontails and pheasant. Here in the Adirondacks it is snowshoe hare and ruffed grouse. And, of course, turkey. The only pheasants around here are on shooting preserves or private clubs. But a ruffed grouse with a flintlock is a great challenge.

After 30" of snow earlier in the week and three inches of rain today, it will be a few days before I venture out with the flintlock.

Enjoy the holidays!

ADK Bigfoot
Sounds like Snowshoes, Grouse and Turkey's are pretty good substitutes for what you had in NJ. Right now there is no open season on Quail and Grouse, as their numbers are so low that they couldn't stand being hunted. And of course it's not the hunting but the loss of habitat, etc. Have a good Christmas and New Year.

Just had Christmas lunch, I smoked a Turkey. But you have me thinking of my early teen years my daily job was to go out and get a pair of cottontails for breakfast.
I started using a portable spotlight at dark and found it easier to feed the family.

I could say i head shot them but i don't wanna lie on Christmas day.

Thanks for the memories, Britt.

Yeah Bud, Jersey was good then. Lots of coveys of quail and wild pheasants. The only wild ones left in the state are in a protected area in the Meadowlands on the way to Newark.
I grew up in Hudson County. We used to trap muskrats in the swamps. In a straight line I'll bet we were only 5 miles from Times Square. The state used to stock pheasants in Jersey City, Secaucus, and North Bergen.

Another great post Brits!

Excellent shot on the bunny!

It’s really a shame that those two estates operate the way they do...... lol

Great pics and great story! Congrats again

There is one thing our friend Nate is too humble to talk about. Using such a little gun and hitting at the ranges he's able to drop flying game I'm convinced he is one really, seriously good SHOT.
Just average friend just average. I miss plenty, just doesn't make for good writing.
I do practice a lot. There isn't many days I'm not shooting something.

There is one thing our friend Nate is too humble to talk about. Using such a little gun and hitting at the ranges he's able to drop flying game I'm convinced he is one really, seriously good SHOT.
I am saying nought :doh:
Feltwad

Late 1950's , coal mines were mostly down , we had to hunt to offset the food budget , and cost of ammo. Ate fresh road kill , picked coal at the slate dumps to heat our home. As a kid , I didn't notice we were poor. Dad was a psycho long range ground hog hunter in summer. Farmers were happy to see him drive up as their livestock would go lame falling in g/hog holes The folks living across the street were extremely happy to get the excess ground hogs we brought home to feed their four teen age kids. Wish I would have had a serviceable muzzleloader back then. They were non-existent then , in shootable shape. Literally no body had a clue how they worked. Twenty years later, that all changed with the advent of a m/l deer season in Pa.. ..........oldwood
Love the stories. We must be kin.

Colter ..........Oh,man.......My kin are a mixture.....Norwegian , Swed ,British , Irish , Scot , Dutch , but in the S.W. Pa. coal region , was raised by Ukrainians , Russians , Polish ,Hungarian , mostly coal miners. Oops , forgot...West Virginians , too..

"Well the Muppet in me is alive and well. I drove to a place and on arrival promptly realized I had forgotten the caps 🙄😟."

I alway heard 'the legs are the first to go', no so, its ones, er, hmmmmm, where was I........................
Robby

Enjoy the holidays!

ADK Bigfoot
Ruffed grouse is a challenge for me no matter what I am shooting!

As a child I spent a lot of time on the Great Bay, between Long Beach Island and the mainland. No bird hunting but lots of fish and crabs and rowing when the 25 cents worth of gas ran out.

I grew up on a farm in Michigan's "thumb".Friends of the family came down from the Upper Penninsula for opening day and people from Detroit came to my cousin's place to hunt . Birds were hung from clothes lines to cool off at lunch time. GREATdays for pheasant hunting in 50's andI early 60's. After discharge from Air Force in December '69 was hunting back woods line of farm and large rooster took off. He was close and looked like a B52 taking off. I lowered my gun and let him go. I think he was the last rooster in the county, as I didn't see another for the next 25 years. Now I'm getting too old to enjoy walking thru the brush for birds.

I grew up on a farm in Michigan's "thumb".Friends of the family came down from the Upper Penninsula for opening day and people from Detroit came to my cousin's place to hunt . Birds were hung from clothes lines to cool off at lunch time. GREATdays for pheasant hunting in 50's andI early 60's. After discharge from Air Force in December '69 was hunting back woods line of farm and large rooster took off. He was close and looked like a B52 taking off. I lowered my gun and let him go. I think he was the last rooster in the county, as I didn't see another for the next 25 years. Now I'm getting too old to enjoy walking thru the brush for birds.
What a special memory. Thanks for sharing it. I am sure that rooster has thought about you through the years also.

Back