• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Lymans Great Plains rifle rules

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Took my GPR along this weekend out to our hunting lease and with all my other chores done, I broke it out . It would be hard to describe how much fun I got out of shooting it. It was like being a kid again and getting your first .22 rifle, I mean, I could not stop laughing. By the end of my shooting session, I was able to group my shots inside of an 8 inch pie plate and I think that in a few more sessions, that I will be able to hit a coffee cup at 75 yds. At that point , I think I will be ready to kill a deer with it and I can't wait. Tony
grin.gif

Don't know about GPRs as I've never owned one.
I think we both can say that Black Powder Rules for just plain fun though.
I see others at the range who unload their Magnum Megawhompers with a smile. After 5 to 20 shots they are rubbing their shoulder, looking pained and heading for the car.
Rarely do I go to the range and shoot for less than 2 hours, often more and when I leave, I'm still smiling!
Good shootin to you.

Your absolutely right. Having fun is the name of the game. I always run out of time before I'm done shootin. I just want to shove one more ball down the bore and see if I can do better. and maybe just one more after that.

Horse Dr.

Woodsman: The Lyman GPR is a great lil rifle for the money & IMHO the "Best Buy" for the money in a mass produced rifle in that price range. I've had one for quite a while & with some work you will find it will shoot 1" groups at 50 yds consistantly when you find the right ball/load/patch/lube combo.

Mine is a .54 cal & I am shooting a .535 RB, 75 grains of FF Goex, .017 pillow ticking & Lehigh Lube.

Consistancy is the name of the game... Same ball, same load, same patch, same amount of lube, swab the same with same amount of lube each time... It will all come together if you work with it.

Woodsman;

i've owned a GPR for a couple years now. It is my first smokepole & I've been completely happy with it. it gives me 3" groupings @ 100 yds. compared to most of you all, i don't have much experience with muzzleloading but i know what works for me. Glad to know it works for others also. this year wil be my first time deer hunting so we'll see how she does.

jeffro

New guy here, I just got into BP myself and started with the GPR kit,54 cal. I too laughed and smiled all darn day, I got it shooting 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards , made me very happy to see that. I love this gun !!!! Been shooting every day since I got it.

Back