• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The movie "Patriot"....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLAHMAN

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I wonder....remember that movie the "Patriot"? Mel Gibson had a rifle made by Frank House, correct? After the filming was completed did Gibson get to keep that rifle, was it returned to the prop department, was it returned to Frank House? If Gibson did get to keep that rifle, I wonder if he shoots it on a regular basis or does he put aside in the corner? Just somethin' to wonder about. :hmm:

Mel could be a gun-guy...he's not a lefty, so it's very possible. He may have kept it, been presented with it.

Rat

Read in one of the Muzzleloading publications that the "Movie Rifle" returned to the studio, but that Mel liked the rifle so much and enjoyed shooting it so much, that he had Frank House make one like it for his use.
Be Well,
Bill

I believe I once read that Mel Gibson taught his kids how to shoot. Where I read it? I don't remember, but I'm sure I read that... What he taught them to shoot, I don't remember??? :hmm:

I think Mel Gibson is well liked out here in this part of the world. Some folks say he has a ranch up in Montana, and the talk is that ranch hands enjoy working for him...
That's what I hear! I like him! :thumbsup:

Ohio Joe,
i to read somewhere sometime ago that he and
others owned a huge piece of property somewhere in the west that they raise cattle on. i to am a big Mel Gibson fan but did you know that his dad moved the family from
the U.S. to Austrailia so that Mel would not be drafted
into the Viet Nam war.
snake-eyes

I see that Mel Gibson was born in 1956... When he came of legal age to be eligible for the draft, there was no longer a draft. That would have been 1974, the same year I volunteered.

I understand he was born in New York, and his mother was from Australia. He, and his family moved to Australia after he graduated High School in 1974, and he ended up going to acting school down there...

I believe the draft ended in '72 or '73??? I know it did not exist in '74... I think his record and movement is clean from my veteran point of view...

Mel's family moved to Australia when he was 8 years old. He was one of I think 9 or so kids, not the oldest. His Father is a bit of a strange one.

Mav,

His dad moved to Australia and ended up serving a tour with the Aussie army in Nam. Contrary to Hollywood, there were non-U.S. forces in Vietnam at the beginning. I have no idea how large the contingent(s) were but they were of no great consequence in the fighting and dying. That was our boys, the ARVNs and the 'yards.

-Ray

Hershel told me that when it came time for Mel to pick up his gun, Mel brought his father and two sons over to meet Frank at Frank's place. BTW, Roland Cadle made the horn Mel carried.

I see that Mel Gibson was born in 1956... When he came of legal age to be eligible for the draft, there was no longer a draft. That would have been 1974, the same year I volunteered.

I understand he was born in New York, and his mother was from Australia. He, and his family moved to Australia after he graduated High School in 1974, and he ended up going to acting school down there...

I believe the draft ended in '72 or '73??? I know it did not exist in '74... I think his record and movement is clean from my veteran point of view...

Must have ended in 73. I'm a year older than Mel and my birthday came up 184 in the lottery.

Joe,
i dont doubt what you say to be absolutly true and
what i said came from a bio of Mel i believe on the a&e
network. i was in nam in 65-66 and to tell you the truth
i dont fault anyboby that didnt have to go for whatever
reason. but for me i'm glad i went and grateful i came
back!!!!
snake-eyes :m2c: :peace: :)

I hear what your saying, Snake-Eyes... As a veteran, if anyone, no matter who they are, cut and ran from the duty of their country when called on, or even the pretext they might be called on, I have no use for them. In my mind they are cowards and do not deserve to be in the company of brave men who serve and have served their country.

Had this been the case with Gibson, I would not acknowledge him or his work in anyway. We can except Mel Gibson with a clean slate as he has given us no reason not to like him, and a good reason to like him through such movies as, The Patriot... :thumbsup:

I will also add that people make decissions that they feel will effect their life at a single moment in time, but seldom is it that they look thirty years down the road and see the results of their actions...

Here is a quote from the Unauthorized Mel Gibson website:
Actor, director and producer Mel Columcille Gibson may have started out as just another pretty face but has justly earned the status of superstar. He is generally considered an Australian because he has adopted the country

Snake eyes,
1966, Qui nohn valley, 129th Ord.
Why I hate seeing my son go to Iraq. :boohoo:

I enlisted in March of 73, there was no draft at that time. B.Ford

According to the Selective Service System website; "In 1973, the draft ended and the U.S. converted to an All-Volunteer military." The final lottery number drawing was actually held in 1972. You can see the results of all Vietnam era lottery drawings online at the SSS site.
WJ

I graduated High School in 1971. There was a draft that year but they did not take anyone. They had the year before.

Back