• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The new rammer!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warning! Contains non historically correct content!

Well lazy loading drill as in not adding grease cookies at regular intervals resulted in the tradition that is Pedersoli and the rammer breaking.
It broke a couple of years ago but my repair stayed good. This time it went else where and it was time for change.

This is where many will cringe....I ordered a meter length of 8mm delrin rod and fitted the original ends.
It's a bit wobbly but it works.

Only two shots today in anger. First shot at a runner and I was behind it. Second was a sitter.
Powder today was 1f, equal volume under 1&1/4oz.
View attachment 7779
B.
if it works and it keeps you in the game. all good:)

I use one of the delrin rods, marketed here by Mountain State Manufacturing, as a range rod. I love it. I still use the wooden rod for reloading in the woods, but that is a lot less reloading than at the range. The only thing I don't care for is that it's difficult to mark the rod for unloaded, loaded with ball, and loaded with shot, indicators.

30 plus years ago i was shooting my 45 roundballer, 42 inch barrel. as i put the rod on the ball and then on the powder a very low flying noisy plane skinned over the shooting range.the range was right on the canadian border. well i forgot to pull that aluminum rod out and a good thing it was on the ball tight. it kicked so hard my shoulder hurt for 2 years. didnt hurt the gun. the rod went like a arrow but bent to bad to use again. never done that again. if a deer was in front of it it would have gone through the deer.

pennsylvania-dutch-hex-6-otto-werner.jpg

Bury a lock of witches hair at midnight and I never read this.
niboR

Warning! Contains non historically correct content!

Well lazy loading drill as in not adding grease cookies at regular intervals resulted in the tradition that is Pedersoli and the rammer breaking.
It broke a couple of years ago but my repair stayed good. This time it went else where and it was time for change.

This is where many will cringe....I ordered a meter length of 8mm delrin rod and fitted the original ends.
It's a bit wobbly but it works.

Only two shots today in anger. First shot at a runner and I was behind it. Second was a sitter.
Powder today was 1f, equal volume under 1&1/4oz.
View attachment 7779
B.
I have no problem with it, it looks great to me. Thanks for sharing.

I've only ever broken two wood rods in well over half a century of muzzleloading. And they were the rods that came with the rifles and not the good hickory rods that adorn most of my rifles. On one rifle I've had for nearly 55 years, the same wood rod in still on the rifle and has loaded countless rounds. At the range I now use mostly a metal range rod; but in the woods it's the pedestrian underbarrel wood rod that does the work. I've also had a delrin rod for decades but not the gun it fits.

Gotta love the military rifles and muskets...and their steel ram-rods. :) For sure on the range, I always use a "range rod", heavy dowell just under bore diameter, (everything I have is .58" or bigger) with a gear-shift knob on the end. Love going to junk-yards, and pulling all the gear shift knobs I can find. !

Range rods are a different matter, I'm a firm believer in a steel range rod.
The Brown Bess originally has a wooden rod. :D

Back