• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The powder ran out first...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....thus ended an epic (for me) pigeon shoot with a muzzleloader.
42 and everything is black, the gun, my clothes and my hands.
View attachment 340330
The barrels are now full of lead so it gets the boiling water treatment later.
Never missed a beat, not one missfire.
I used about 60gn of 3f and 1oz of 7.5 shot.
Think I missed 10 or 12 which is good for me!
Had I used a breechloader I could of doubled it but where would the fun in that be...!
The most fun a man can have without removing his trousers!View attachment 340329

Edit to add, no swabbing and definitely no so called cushion wad thingies. Just two thin cards and home made lube. And a thin card on top of the shot.
I eliminate lead in my barrels by putting the shot in a plastic power piston wad on top of the powder then I cut the flaps off another wad and ram it on top of the shot. works great and I broke 20 skeet in a row with that system

I eliminate lead in my barrels by putting the shot in a plastic power piston wad on top of the powder then I cut the flaps off another wad and ram it on top of the shot. works great and I broke 20 skeet in a row with that system
I don't use plastic and don't worry about the lead, falls out with boiling hot water all by itself.

oh you are a purist probably got an outhouse no electric and get around on a horse. :horseback:
I don't think I mentioned purist.
I do have an outhouse, no horse and do have electric.
What I do like is simplicity. I find loading a muzzleloader as simple as possible adds to the enjoyment and I am perfectly happy with the performance loaded thus.

Do you not think I jumped through all the hoops trying to make muzzleloaders perform like err whatever before now?
Well I did, one of these, one of them, now one of them.... baloney. To much fiddle.
In winter and the ground is damp I often just take paper and scrunch a piece into a ball.
But hey you do what makes you happy, I'm sure someone on the skeet lay out was mighty impressed 👍🏻

I don't think I mentioned purist.
I do have an outhouse, no horse and do have electric.
What I do like is simplicity. I find loading a muzzleloader as simple as possible adds to the enjoyment and I am perfectly happy with the performance loaded thus.

Do you not think I jumped through all the hoops trying to make muzzleloaders perform like err whatever before now?
Well I did, one of these, one of them, now one of them.... baloney. To much fiddle.
In winter and the ground is damp I often just take paper and scrunch a piece into a ball.
But hey you do what makes you happy, I'm sure someone on the skeet lay out was mighty impressed 👍🏻
I shot the skeet at a farm. for me better then shooting 20 pigeons

Edible?! Why I do believe that Doves are right on the top of my list for the MOST delicious bird eating... ever! Sadly, they are not legal to take where I now live (Maine).
Oh yeah. It's been a few years since I've dove hunted. It coincides with archery and ml season and by the end of September there's usually been a cold snap that sends them south. I agree on tablefare. They are tops.

We have plenty of the Eurasian collared doves but they seem to prefer living in town.

Cut a jalapeño in half lengthwise, leaving a few seeds here and there. Put some breast meat in the jalapeño, a shmear of cream cheese on top then wrap with bacon. Put it on the bbq. This is how we do a lot of our doves. We get a lot of the Eurasian doves also. They are all very tasty.

Well said my friend, well said! That was a beautiful bit of word play.
Growing up we had a squab box in the rafters of our dairy barn. Not very sporting, but my Granny made a to die for squab pie. (not sporting because after dark we would take a ladder and harvest the pigeons off the roost)

One of the most frustrating things about my golden years is that all those feral pigeons and all those invasive Eurasian doves live in town where I can't shoot them. Hundreds of the pigeons live in the Walmart parking lot. I might bag a few before the cops showed up but it wouldn't be pigeons I'd be having for dinner! When I watch them circling around I think "right barrel, one foot lead" or "left barrel, two foot lead" if it's around 40 yards. At least it beats watching fat tattooed girls or old people looking for where they parked their car. I know I could live trap them and tell passers by that I was going to turn them into homing pigeons rather than that I was going to eat them, but that wouldn't be sporting. Fortunately, the wife's bird bath is 18 feet from my shop window. 18 feet happens to be the distance my old pellet gun is sighted for and the Eurasians are frequent visitors.There are some things golden about the golden years.

Not quite equal measures my friend.
It was 3f so it said on the can. Looked finer to me 🤷.
Yes these Berretta Tricentennial guns that are not Berretta at all, seems daft that Berretta would celebrate 300 years of gun making by not gun making! Anyway they can be troublesome on the bottom barrel IF they are not gas tight!
If yours is not gas tight you will be able to observe black soot in the stock inletting under where the bottom breech plug sits and it's M10 grub screw come flash tube meet the wood.
And you must never oil the bores! Like ever!! If it gets in them breech plugs wave goodbye to reliability!

The M10 grub screw is bull nosed and it is hoped it seals when screwed in tight. However it also has to line up with the bore to receive powder and flash efficiently.
Now if they get it wrong it means they have to fit them loose and sealing is lost.
Don't ask me how but that loss of seal seems to stop a clean ignition of the powder.
I had to add a copper washer and Teflon tape on the threads. It was worth the effort.
Test by firing with a piece of thin white paper under the breech block.
You sir, are one of the finest assets of this forum.

Awesome thread,

Britsmoothy,
Thank you for sharing the adventure with us. I have a Beretta shotgun as well. I haven’t had any problems with mine and it shoots very well. When you shoot from a blind, do you use a range rod to reload with or the ram rod on the shotgun?
Old Shepherd
I did take a rod but it's end was to small and a ran the risk of turning a thin card on its side so I abandoned it and used the guns.
Thank you.

Always enjoy your hunting stories and pictures, keep them coming.
Nice job Nathan a little hint if you don’t mind when I shoot lots like you did on this hunt I use a pair of those thin garden gloves with the thin rubber palms and a rag in my back pocket .I find the gloves work great because of the grip you get from the rubber on the palms works good if yer hands are all crippled up like mine .love your photos and reading your stories and wish I was there by your side .enjoy my friend and give Jess a scratch .😉

Back