• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The serpentine arquebus/harquebus

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMCsniper

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am thinking of building a serpentine Arquebus/Harquebus. It does not look like it should be very hard to do. Any help would be great. you can see about these at http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Campground/8551/arquebus.html , http://www.albion-small-arms.freeserve.co.uk/203inuse.htm , but more info would be great. Thanks!

- USMC sniper

203.gif

USMCSniper:

Hiya!

I had actually held one of the Albion Arquebuses a few years ago and can vouch that it is a very well made arm.

:m2c:

Sniper: Please keep us apprised of your project. I have been tempted by one of these, too, and the complexity of the lock just might be within my mechanical grasp!
Bill
P.S. Chuck: Sent you a p.m.

Ron (Albion) also sells locks separately. You might want to ask him which lock styles he has available for an arquebus. Then just get a barrel and do the stock yourself.

Hi, :eek:ff: a little bit.

This is not a reply, but a question. Where can one get good pieces of iron pyrites for wheellock pistols locally in the USA? The ones that I use tend to crumble after 2 or more shots. I have tried pices cut from a iron pyrites cubes and fine grained pieces. Am I expecting too much or is this typical of wheellock guns? I made up a Schroter wheellock (puffer) pistol. After making some modifications to the mechanism it works perfect. I am just about finished with a 17th Century German military pistol kit from TRS. If anybody has some information on sources of iron pyrites thst works like it is supposed to, please inform me. One can make up his own matchlock mechanism. My son did this. It sure works good. I think I will build myself a musket or fowler. There is not much to the mechanusm and it can be made from of quite a few left over metal pieces found around one's shop. It just requires a little patients. Thanks, Rabbitears :master:

if things go right, i am going to win an auction on a Jukar made kenntuky flintlock barrel, it is .45 and 33" long (is rifled too) . If not then I will use seamless pipe like Chuck. ::

I have desided to use a shotgun barrel (from a single shot break open, like a H&R or Steven's)(I still need to find one at a fair price), plug the breech, and drill a vent-hole

You will have to cut the chamber , so get
the longest barrel you can find .

A 20 ga will be easier to fit a plug in .

Ok, Bill of the 45th Parallel has me covered with a 20 Ga. barrel already drilled for a breech plug It's 30" long. :thumbsup:

Ok, I'm getting the stock done prety well, I have only been using hand tools (mostly a saw, a nice sharp knife, and some sand paper) to make it more authintic. It sure is rough on the hands though, but it is starting to look great and will be well worth it. ::

Hi i am thingking of building one with a snaplock I would like to use a barrel from Uelli Eichelberger from Switserland ( i think he makes the best ) but the lock wil give a problem i have no drawings.
I am shooting with a Hege replika , it shoots all right but it does not look very good. :thumbsup:

Hey USMCNIPER, I'm doing the same thing! :grin:

I've just got the wood for my stock, i'll keep everyone updated with photos, etc.

Have you got any photos you'd share of how your arquebus? I'd like to get as much inspiration as I can so I don't just screw up, lol

I'll check your site for the plans, i'll be needing measurements.

Rabbitears said:
This is not a reply, but a question. Where can one get good pieces of iron pyrites for wheellock pistols locally in the USA? Thanks,
Rabbitears, check out Horst Guns at[url] Horst.Com[/url]. A few of us have been using his pyrites and they seem to hold up O.K. so far. Hope this helps, Bookie

Last edited by a moderator:
Back