• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Walker makes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter M. Eick

32 Cal.
Reaction score
ready.jpg

aim.jpg

shot1.jpg

shot2.jpg

shot3.jpg

This is a nice charge of 50 to 60 grns (I was playing around) of Pyrodex P, a vegetable wad and a hornady 454 round ball. Everything worked great. Love the gun and I found it was quite accurate. 1.5" groups first time out at 10 yards.

Now I need to move back and get some distances (15 or 25 yards) and really have some fun.

The Walker is a great gun, easy to shoot well and very very accurate. Mine shot point of aim!

Oh yes, the lever drops on 60 grn charges, but what the heck. It is still a bunch of fun!

Note starting about the second picture down- on the left way back in the back ground there is a guy facing the opposit direction. Apparently the first shot caught his attention. He looks very interested and maybe even a bit apprehensive.

I guess you get in the habit of slapping the rammer up before you cock the gun each time? It becomes second nature?
Don

Boy! Isn't reliving history fun?
Every time that loading lever drops down you have to think to yourself "Dam! I'm sure glad a bunch of upset Indians or Mexicans aren't trying to kill me right now!"

Small wonder that the loading lever locking device was one of the first things that was redesigned on the 1st model Dragoon. :)

Reliving history?

Just think about trying to reload that thing quickly and getting a cap on it under pressure. I was taking about 10 minutes per cylinder to load it.

Lets see, measure out each charge, check it once, dump it in the cylinder, add the fiber wad, ram the fiber wad, put in the ball, ram the ball, grease the ball. Now try to fumble on a cap or 6.

Ok, aim and fire.

The thing that impressed me the most was the power of about 55 grns of Pyrodex on a .454 bullet and the accuracy. This Walker hit point of aim and is easily as accurate as any of my good revolvers. Next time I will work on some "show targets".

I went a little power crazy with mine and used 60 grains of Swiss and Pyrodex P
attachment.php

Image tag fails again[url] http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=32065&d=1133484116[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
walker_target1.jpg

walker_target2.jpg

I hope you can read my scribbles, but the center was 2 cylinders of 50 grns, the top holes are 1 cylinder of 60 grns and the left was 3 shots at 55 grns aimed at the color change between the 9 and 10 rings to the left. The center was point of aim. The one hole low was my fowler shot.

Love American Shooting Center. It is the best rifle/Pistol range I have ever shot at. A big step up from the one I used to shoot at in Illinois. Don't know about you but I almost always get one or two questions about my Cap and Ball Pistols when I am out there. As for the Walker, I love them. Currently working on purchasing #3. Going to have action jobs on them and then send them to Doug Turnbull for removal of Italian marks, Colt stamping, and refinishing with cylinders in the white, new case-hardening, and the balance in Blue (like Zonie's). Of course this is a project for the future due to saving up funds.

Back