• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Them Indian Haters!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Indian made muskets that is. The two most popular arguments against Indian made muskets are #1 "they are unsafe" and #2 they are not "American made". So..... My question is....WHERE CAN I and my SAR Compatriots and fellow re-enactors get / buy / acquire "AMERICAN MADE" reproduction Brown Bess & Charleville and other military style muskets of the American Revolutionary War period?
This IS NOT meant to be a discussion on whether Indian made muskets are safe or not (but surely someone who can't read will try to make it so).
I really would like to know if there is a source out there for American made muskets of any kind. The closest I've found is The Rifle Shoppe (believe they just supply raw parts) and Clay Smith and a few builders on CLA website who can make fowler/ hunting and trade guns that can be converted / used as Colonial Militia / Committee of Safety Muskets but that's all I have found.
I would appreciate if someone out there who knows of someone making these would let me know.
Thanks for reading post.
TDY ☠️

I suspect your options are these:
  1. Build them yourself from Rifle Shoppe parts, or
  2. Have them built by a custom maker. There's a third possible option
  3. If Jim Kibler decides to make brown Bess copies, order one from him.
Beyond that I just plain don't know. Sorry I'm not much help.

Hi,
I post a lot of threads and even videoed seminars on how to make 18th British muskets and fowlers. My intent has always been to help folks help themselves. There are not enough knowledgeable makers anywhere sufficient to meet the demand for British and French flintlock muskets. There are some who can build the guns but do not have the research, experience, and skills to make them historically correct. I was influenced and instructed by 2 great gun makers, Kit Ravenshear and Bill Kennedy. Both imparted a tremendous amount of knowledge to me about British guns. However, the bulk of what I know, I learned on my own visiting museums and collections. I did and am still doing my homework. For example, I have 2 orders for pattern 1742 King's muskets. As preparation, I am traveling next month to a major museum where the curator will bring out several examples for me to examine and measure in addition to several other guns I need to see. My shop produces some of the best reproductions ever made but making muskets is not what I want to be doing on an overwhelming basis. I can also produce the highest quality decorated 18th, 17th, and 16th century work including chiseled decoration, intricate inlays, elaborate engraving, and complex carving. I've done and continue to do intense research on all of those styles. I don't want to make plain muskets when I can be making high end guns from the past, which are far more challenging and fun for me. Moreover, I don't need the money from the shop because I have sufficient income from other sources to allow me to just select projects that interest me. My problem is that I empathize with you reenactors strongly and have a hard time saying no because I cannot readily steer you to another maker that can do a credible job. Nick Genda on this forum is a likely choice. I have no idea what Clay Smith's work looks like but being close to Colonial Williamsburg ought to give him good resources for correct muskets. There are several other makers mentioned that can do a credible job if they work at it but I've seen examples lacking many details. There are lots of American makers who can make really fine American guns but only a few can do British and European guns.

dave

Latest posts

Back