• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

They won't hold still!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trench

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I went out in period garb this morning for some squirrels in the hickory woods. The squirrels were busy in the tree tops cutting hickory nuts. Boy they were bouncing all around up there! That was the trouble. They were too busy way up in those leaf-covered trees to get a good shot with my .36. Occasionally they would skurry down a trunk and give me a second or two to get off a shot. I took two shots, but missed them both on squirrels that just wouldn't hold still!
I like them better on lazy days when they're out sunning themselves! :grin:

I usually just hold up an 8 x 10 glossy of the Old Woman in her night gown. While they're still frozen from shock I take dead aim and wack'em. Nott'in to it.

Vern

Ancient One said:
I usually just hold up an 8 x 10 glossy of the Old Woman in her night gown. While they're still frozen from shock I take dead aim and wack'em. Nott'in to it.

Vern
Or you could use a copy of your birth certificate it would have the same effect! :rotf: :rotf:
Happy Birthday Vern! :v

Ancient One said:

Vern

OOOOOh Vern, I hope the "old Woman" doens't see this, or she might rearrange your face with a cast iron skillet. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Those little gray streaks can be fast as greased lightning, can't they? There are times when I got too close that they have had time to slide around the trunk of a tree, or swap ends to run back up the tree before a slight hang fire could ignite the charge.

From those experiences, I learned that it is easier to shoot 'em from slightly longer ranges.

Those squirrels will sometimes freeze long enough to get off a shot if you whistle, or screech like a hawk.

God bless

Yep, I think I would consider staging a break-in that involved the intruder only taking your computer. Do you have a very deep quarry near your house? You could dump the incriminating computer there, and let it sink to the bottom, where it could remain with all the other guys incriminating computers. Or maybe a house fire? Beats living with the fear of that statement ever being found by Mrs. Ancient One. Bill

A little salt on their tail works as well to make squirrels hold still as it does for birds.

Spence

Save powder. Show them a photo of NAZI Psychosi and it'll freeze and KILL them dead!!
:rotf:

Ray

Trench said:
I took two shots, but missed them both on squirrels that just wouldn't hold still!
My .28ga Flint smoothbore with #5 shot makes a great squirrel gun for that very reason
:wink:

THAT'S why you either carry two walnuts or a "squirrel barker" call. If you don't have a call smack the walnuts together suddenly and freeze. He'll think it's another tree rat eating HIS stash and try to home in on the sound.

-Ray

SimonKenton said:
THAT'S why you either carry two walnuts or a "squirrel barker" call. If you don't have a call smack the walnuts together suddenly and freeze. He'll think it's another tree rat eating HIS stash and try to home in on the sound.

-Ray

I'll give that a shot some day. Now, my father had the opportunity to hunt my cousin's woods which hasn't been hunted for squirrels...well...ever. Those squirrels just sat there and barked at him until they found themselves in his game bag.

"My .28ga Flint smoothbore with #5 shot makes a great squirrel gun for that very reason" RB

me too

Back