• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thimbles on half stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Hertrich

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am building a half stock rifle and am confused about the ramrod thimbles. I watched Turpins video but did not get the part about filing the area down on the rib where the thimble will be attached.I have experimented with a spare piece of rib but filing it left an unsightly gap. Any suggestions.

Solid rib? File a flat on the rib and also a flat on the underside of the pipe, be careful not to rock the file, you want a true flat. If you round the edges you create a gap. Try fit until a rod will slide through without catching, then lightly tin both flats, clamp and solder. It helps to keep things lined up if you slip a metal rod through the pipes while soldering. I use an iron rod that has some surface rust on it, keeps the solder from sticking to it.

Greetings Bob H,
I have found the following method works best for me: Mark the exact length of your thimble on the top of the rib. Cut a flat in the rib just slightly over half the thickness of your thimbles wall thickness making sure you keep the filing cut level. Next file a slight flat on your thimble, just enough to take up and match the distance from the bottom of the thimble to the top of the rib. You want the run of the ramrod to be level, so you won't have any gaps between the ram rod and the rib, it should fit snug if done properly. Clean the metal, flux and solder, then clean up the extra solder before browning the rib. That should do it... :wink: Good Luck.... mgcrumster

Latest posts

Back