• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinking about a second Hawken rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 50. ( Investarm) . Have read enough about the TC Hawkens to want one. Steel plates and paper. Would a 45 cal be my next choice I should want ? I was thinking a TC in 50 or 45. Ty Wardawg
I have a couple each 45 and 50 cal rifles. For me, I definitely shoot the 45’s better than the 50’s. I do really like the 45 cal.

I like both brands, and they are both good rifles. Cosmetically I like the TC better because I find the patchbox a bit more to my liking. I would go for the .45 if it were me. It's my favorite all around caliber in my area (Tennessee) and it is an inherently accurate round ball. Here we have giant squirrel and small deer so the .45 can handle that range for hunting. And, when you start making your own powder and pouring your own balls (if you're not already) you will find it to be slightly more economical. But that's just the ramblings of a very reclusive hillbilly. If you enjoy shooting there is a good chance you will enjoy the .45.

The distance you’re shooting at makes calibre the deciding factor. Longer range needs larger bore. A example to go to the extreme is a 16” gun on a battle ship can be accurate to 24 miles, a 22 has a lot of wind drift at 100 yards. The people I shoot with have a lot more problems on a windy day when they use their small bore muzzle loaders and often switch to larger like 54 or 58. My point is 45 and 50 aren’t a lot different so ones as good as the other.

I’m at a 200 yard range. Well out to 200. But we have it set up for steel plates and target boards from 50 100 150 and 200. I’m new to muzzle loaders. It’s about my last stop with firearms. Shooting is my golf game. I’m not no expert in anything. But I love to shoot. I retire in under 2 years. By choice. I’ll be 58. Wardawg

I’m at a 200 yard range. Well out to 200. But we have it set up for steel plates and target boards from 50 100 150 and 200. I’m new to muzzle loaders. It’s about my last stop with firearms. Shooting is my golf game. I’m not no expert in anything. But I love to shoot. I retire in under 2 years. By choice. I’ll be 58. Wardawg
IMG_3319.jpeg

I’m at a 200 yard range. Well out to 200. But we have it set up for steel plates and target boards from 50 100 150 and 200. I’m new to muzzle loaders. It’s about my last stop with firearms. Shooting is my golf game. I’m not no expert in anything. But I love to shoot. I retire in under 2 years. By choice. I’ll be 58. WardawgView attachment 333197

Mods sorry about the double post. I apparently wasn’t signed in and then noticed it said posting with mods approval. Wardawg

I have a T/C Hawken in a .45 percussion, i also have a Renegade in a .54 percussion. I like the Renegade better than the Hawken. Bottom line is i am giving both to my son & his family. Gave him a .50 cal already & next is the Hawken. Then the Renegade model. I won't miss them in the least as i have an UnderHammer with 2 .40 cal barrels i have been working on for 2 years as their replacement. I love the UnderHammer way more.

I have a 50. ( Investarm) . Have read enough about the TC Hawkens to want one. Steel plates and paper. Would a 45 cal be my next choice I should want ? I was thinking a TC in 50 or 45. Ty Wardawg
I have two TCs, a hawken and a Renegade. Between them I have 45, 50, 54 (2) and 58 barrels. I by far shoot the 45 more than any of them. It shoots (or I shoot it) more accurately than any of others. However, as @Phil Coffins says the accuracy potential at distance in windy conditions falls off but my eyes are such that it's hard to separate the cause 😅

It matters most according to what you will do with it. Given your up to 200 yards shooting I'd say go bigger.

. I retire in under 2 years. By choice. I’ll be 58.

Hmmmm.... maybe that's a sign 🤔 A 58?

I have a T/C Cherokee in 45 cal. and at 50yds, I've never shot a tighter group. That's with a 45 cal. at 50 yards. In my opinion, I agree with the other members, for the distance you're talking about I would go with a larger caliber than 45.

Latest posts

Back