• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinning Truoil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Turpentine to thin it when I want to thin it.

Normally, I don't thin Tru-Oil as it works just fine the way it comes. At least that is my experience with it.

You can also thin it with denatured alcohol. 1:4 parts alcohol to Tru-oil. Any more alcohol than that and it gets too thin, and takes forever to get a finish on the wood.

The main thing to remember when putting on oil is to STRETCH the finish as far as you can with your fingers. The stuff will come off your hands with alcohol or any modern gun solvent, or paint cleaner. So, use your fingers to spread the oil on. 10 thin coats works much better than one thick coat. On a half stock, I can usually cover the entire stock with less than 10 drops of Tru-oil. A full stock may take 3-5 more drops of oil per coat, depending on the length of the stock.

Could not agree more! Thin is better! :thumbsup:

The first stock I did with hand rubbed technique took a long time mostly because I did stuff I did NOT need to do... like sanding between coats. Geesh. Now I sometimes hand rub tung oil on a stock once in the am and once in the evening and can get the very thin 16-18 layers on with NO sanding between coats. Then when I rottenstone and pumice the tung oil finish after it sits for a few days to cure, it looks like a museum piece.

So in about 2 weeks (after I have acheived the colour I like) I get a stock that looks like a million bucks... Thin layers are the way to get there and this method is way better than any thick coats.

I apply 3 coats of tru oil by hand, then i switch over to the tru oil in the spray can to avoid runs.
Works excellent but you have to have compressed air and some solvent to soak the little spray nozzle in because they gunk up fast.

Colt--- Pumice and rottenstone are dry powders like baby powder except very mildly abrasive and the have been used for centuries to take a high shine down to a deep rich hue. You can get them through virtially any wood or stain store or website that sells quality stains and oils such as TUNG OIL. They come in small carbboard tube containers, like fish food.

Very simply to use. AFTER the finish is cured (and I often wait days after the last application of TUNG OIL) take some pumice and water and lightly rub the surface (container has instructions). I find just a few light strokes works for me. Then I rinse with water and do the same with the rottenstone. Then a final rinse with water.
Dry and buff with very soft clean cotton cloth. It makes a stock look like a million bucko's.

Back