• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This seasons Deer Kill.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halftail

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Well Guys,
After hunting hard for over 2 weeks non-stop I got my Buck Saturday after noon in a snowstorm.It aint a monster buck by any streach but for where I hunt any buck is a good one.
Here's a couple of pics....
2007Buck001.jpg

2007Buck003.jpg

I was setting in my Treestand early Saturday afternoon wipeing snow off of my Wool pants and coat feeling the cold wind and snow hit me in the face and just passing the afternoon looking and dreaming.I looked off to the Southwest down over the steep hill from my stand and there he stood broadside,70 yards with only a little small fur tree between him and my muzzle.I drew down on a good sight just behind his Forward leg and "Let go"!The way the wind was baffleing the smoke went directly away and I watch the action unfold.When the Ball hit him ,his head took a nosedive and he kicked his hind legs out before Bolting in a straight line and off out of sight with his tail hard against his Butt.All right I'm thinking "No Biggie".I have a bit of experience killing Deer with Roundballs and unless they are hit in the neck or the spine they all go aways.After fumbling around with pre-measured charges and Ball Blocks I managed to Load up again.I pack up all my Goodies and head down the tree to recover my Deer.After a 70 yard walk from where he stood to where he fell I found him ,Deader than a Doorknob.
Upon dressing him I find out that there was full penetration and took out the heart on the way through.Pretty good for a fair sized Deer at 70 yards,.490 ball and 90 grains of 3f from my T/C New Englander.

:hatsoff: Nice eating there HalfTail,............congratulations :applause:
Soggy

Thanks guys!
Theys a Bigger one running around there too.This buck was all "skun up" with both ears torn and the hide all skurfed off the botton of Both ears.I had a nice one walk almost into range this morning just before Light but never saw him after daylight but By the look of his track he's a "Grinder".
Might get chance to see him later this week when I return.

Hello from Germany!

Congrats and Waidmanns Heil to this buck and best wishes for the next and perhaps bigger one.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Good shootin' Halftail! :hatsoff:

Seems like they most always do that heel kick and then an all out sprint when ya heart shoot 'em. :hmm: Generally makes for an easy trail job too. :grin:

Good luck gettin' a shot at the one who whupped his butt.

Good on you!

Never belittle a deer you just killed. He put his all into it. :hatsoff: I take the Native American outlook and always figure I'm honored they offerred themselves up and am thankful for it. That one would have been a keeper in my book any implement, any season.

Swamp Rat,
I could Box Up that hide and send it on down to ya for to make into a "Wig" for RC.... :blah: Probably wouldn't need all of it either.

Congratulations,Halftail. :thumbsup:
Nice buck. :bow:

Looks like it thundres and smokes in the woods. :haha:

:hatsoff:

Good hunt HT, you went after a deer and did everything right, new rifle and all...congratulations !

:thumbsup:

Nice buck, Halftail, congratulations! And, the setting certainly looks like deer country. Thanks for sharing. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back