• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center 50 cal Hawken Flintlock...polish or not?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I offered to clean up a Thompson Center 50 Cal Hawken Flintlock for a friend.

Besides some minor surface rust...the rifle is in really good condition.

It has a pretty low serial number...39533 and doesn't say "Hawken" on the barrel makes me think t may be more valuable than later models.

My questions are #1...should I polish all of the brass parts or leave them "aged" ?

#2...what is this gun worth?

Thanks for your feedback
Hawken.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

It has a pretty low serial number...39533 and doesn't say "Hawken" on the barrel makes me think t may be more valuable than later models.

My questions are #1...should I polish all of the brass parts or leave them "aged" ?

Thanks for your feedbackView attachment 339741
As far as the brass, if he’s hunter leave it as is. I hate shiny brass in the woods.

How does the barrel look inside? The condition of the barrel will be a major determinant of price in my opinion. It appears from the picture that it is the old style cock but I can't exactly tell as the picture is very dark at least on my computer. Did he deliberately do something to darken the brass that dark or is it the picture? Brass can go either way, and I would not bother to polish it up as a hunter probably would prefer the dark.

I'd do something. Brass with a patina or darkened is ok, but green like that says years of (possibly damp) storage. Maybe not a high shine, just enough to clean the green.

How does the barrel look inside? The condition of the barrel will be a major determinant of price in my opinion. It appears from the picture that it is the old style cock but I can't exactly tell as the picture is very dark at least on my computer. Did he deliberately do something to darken the brass that dark or is it the picture? Brass can go either way, and I would not bother to polish it up as a hunter probably would prefer the dark.
It was gifted to my friend...no knowledge of history

Well without a look down the barrel and some better pictures I can't venture a price. Someone mentioned the brass is green. Is it? Again, I can't tell from the pictures.

Thanks for your feedbackView attachment 339741
A better photograph in natural light would help. Took a few seconds and tweaked the exposure of your photograph and at least in my opinion, brightens things up, just to show you the difference.
1723054721383.jpeg

Well, that's the old cock for sure. She looks really good to me. I see no green to worry about. Inside of the barrel is important. If the bore is nice and clean and shiny I'd say $450 to $500.

You are in the $400-500 range, good clean/shiny bore and closer to $600. I would polish the brass. Why? Because you are already in a niche of a niche market. Polished brass, even to a dull but 'brass' look, will get you more money. Cleaner brass will give a better look and initial impression of 'clean' to a potential buyer. If someone wants to dull the brass, there are plenty of options but a lot of buyers are too lazy to polish or see the potential in it, so show them. Liken it to selling your car... you're smart to get it detailed and present it in it's best form, even if it's a clunker on the inside :)

A flintlock is already going to get you an extra 100-150 over a cap gun. I would also clean up the lock as much as possible although it appears to be in good shape, maybe the photos make it look 'dirty' or with a coat of aging grime? I think cleaned up and polished you could easily start at $650 and be patient but all that depends on the bore and how good your barrel finish is, which I can't judge from the photos. If you want to move it sooner, $600 if it cleans up nice.

I would polish it up to perfection. And thoroughly clean the bore and do good photos of the bore.

If I were the buyer I'd want to start over.

Polish it up and make it look new, will bring more from some buyers, if they don't want it shiny, brass will dull on it's own with handling and use. Bore condition will be primary determinant of price. If you don't have a bore scope, try dropping a AA battery down the bore, and take a picture.

I'm in the keep the patina school. Rub the parts well with an oiled piece of denim or rough cloth. That will take off any topical oxidation but leave the patina intact.

Hah hah, I think the summary of this thread is do whatever you want, but do it because that's the result you want, since whatever you do it's not going to have that much effect on its value one way or the other. Most of us that clean up and polish do it just because that's something we enjoy doing and like the result. Certainly has never been worth adding value in excess of the time and effort involved. Good luck with your project and let us know how it turns out.

Back