• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center Bought from S&W

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t get the hang up people have with the TC coil springs. Can’t see them unless you take the lock out. Ruger uses coil instead of flat springs in their revolver… People bad mouth CVA at the same time say how great the barrels are. Say how great a certain reproduction is and add that the originals are better.

Us old guys remember back when muzzleloading spread from just a few enthusiasts to the general population in mass when either sex M/L seasons were first established, almost everyone bought a TC. Lots of good memories of hunting with my TC back then, I have a couple of them in my gun safe now but have gravitated to the guns I build for everyday hunting. I still get my TCs out every now and then and punch paper with them, when I do, I am transported back to the early 70s again.

Before anyone makes any quips about my comment on S&W gutting the company and only having intellectual property left to sell along with some remaining inventory. Watch the full video and also search TIC, separate company being hired to make new products. He effectively states in the video that they are having to start from scratch.

Would love to see them build a plains rifle equal to or better in quality than the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain and Missouri Hawken rifles. R&D three or four models the customer base historically favors and make them the best, just shy of a custom build.
If they were to make a rifle as you described, I would buy one.

Take Care Stay Safe

I only know a couple of other guys in my immediate area aside from myself that still hunt with their sidelocks. I know lots of muzzleloader hunters in my immediate area who's sidelocks have not seen the light of day in 20 plus years. They all hunt with in-lines now. My state of Maryland started a primitive season (sidelocks and stick bows only) about 8 years ago. I don't know any young hunters who are interested in hunting with a sidelock. They all hunt with the latest and greatest in-lines.
I have a feeling TC will have no desire to produce sidelocks if they ever get up and running again. From a business stand it probably would not make much sense.
I own and hunt with my TC sidelocks. I realize they are not as authentic looking as the originals or the finely crafted reproductions. However, I enjoy hunting with them just the same.

Judging by how fast retailers like muzzle-loaders.com sell out of sidelocks I don't understand why an American company would not want to bring that money home. Maybe they sell out because they don't have many on hand. I don't know. But clearly there is a market for such things still sidelocks, Muskets, etc. All imported now with the exception of the custom market. The first ammo, gun crisis of 2008 ish is what brought me into this hobby to begin with and seems things are not much better nowdays as far as outlook for unmentionables. SO, I guess what I'm trying to say is the writing is on the wall.

I only know a couple of other guys in my immediate area aside from myself that still hunt with their sidelocks. I know lots of muzzleloader hunters in my immediate area who's sidelocks have not seen the light of day in 20 plus years. They all hunt with in-lines now. My state of Maryland started a primitive season (sidelocks and stick bows only) about 8 years ago. I don't know any young hunters who are interested in hunting with a sidelock. They all hunt with the latest and greatest in-lines.
I have a feeling TC will have no desire to produce sidelocks if they ever get up and running again. From a business stand it probably would not make much sense.
I own and hunt with my TC sidelocks. I realize they are not as authentic looking as the originals or the finely crafted reproductions. However, I enjoy hunting with them just the same.
I like what you said, although some of it saddens me, like the younger hunters not so interested about sidelocks, if at all. It would be great to be able to get them interested.

It is about the same here, a few hunters around here using sidelocks.

Take Care Stay Safe

I like what you said, although some of it saddens me, like the younger hunters not so interested about sidelocks, if at all. It would be great to be able to get them interested.

Take Care Stay Safe
Show one to a youngster and you will immediately have their attention. It was with my son, and everytime I go to the range I draw the crowd of young black rifle shooters down to my end of the bay.

I don’t know if the new company will make anything as good as these two.

B07AF1B7-9707-4A59-8BE6-9BB99D5C8868.jpeg

Last edited:
Show one to a youngster and you will immediately have their attention. It was with my son, and everytime I go to the range I draw the crowd of young black rifle shooters down to my end of the bay.
I did have my son involved in hunting and fishing. He is now 37, still fishes from time to time, no hunting though. He did come out 2 weekends ago and shot my Colonial Rifle, I thought wow this is great, short lived but nice. I do have 4 grandsons ages 9 to 5 but their parents moved them 1200 miles away.
Last two gun ranges I went to, I did answer a few questions. For the better part I was ostracized right on out the gate. Too much smoke, fire hazard etc...

I'll always try to reach the younger crowd, I work construction and bring muzzloaders up all the time in Conversation, some show Interest. I've even invited a few to come and shoot but none have came yet.

I'm going to a different range in a few weeks I called and asked about muzzleloaders he said no problem, he said there are a few guys that come and shoot there muzzleloaders..

We'll see.
Take Care Stay Safe

Take Care Stay Safe
We had a guy in our club who started with an Inline because that's all he could afford at the time. He now has two side-locks, one Percussion, and one Flint Plus a Primitive Camp.

Walt

You know what i always wishedsomeone would make. Replacement parts for the TC Hawken to replace all the brass parts with pewter. Or black steel. Something to tone it down.
Give the Hawken Shop a call. They have “Conversion Furnishings-Hardware” that may be intended for TC. There’s also a couple of chemical products guys use to darken/age the brass.
https://www.thehawkenshop.com/FURNISHINGS.htm

Latest posts

Back