• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on traditions rocklocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhuffman217

32 Cal
Reaction score
What are the experiences with traditions flinters? With no caps to be had looking to go to a flinter. Not a newby have owned several and built one. Not wanting to spend a grand on a hunter

I have a Traditions flintlock. It’s my 1st “rocklock”,so I don’t have anything to compare it to. I followed advice I read on this forum, and polished all mating surfaces on back of lock. Using 2000 grit paper, I polished plate, spring, tumbler, etc. to a near-mirror finish. I also lightened frizzen spring. There’s still a very slight delay between pan & main charge ignitions, but it’s faster & more reliable than it was when I 1st got it. I’m happy w/it, and it’s very accurate.

Mine had a wave washer in the frizzen pivot. I replaced it with a flat washer as a spacer, greatly reducing the friction. I also smoothed and polished the casting seam where the frizzen contacts the spring, and slightly reshaped the profile so it snaps open on its own once the flint travels far enough.

I have only had a failure to fire if I have a dull flint or dirty frizzen.

Latest posts

Back