• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on wheel lock makers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes/Tex

Cannon
Reaction score
Have been looking at Sykes for a matchlock and have also had some thoughts about one of the "Paddle Butt" muskets as a wheel lock. Was wondering who would be the best source to approach about the lock. Haven't had any experience with early locks prior to flint. Thanks.

Wes:

Heya! Ya finally made it! :D :p

Ahh that siren's call for a Matchlock is too hard to resist eh? ::

Have been looking at Sykes for a matchlock and have also had some thoughts about one of the "Paddle Butt" muskets as a wheel lock. Was wondering who would be the best source to approach about the lock. Haven't had any experience with early locks prior to flint. Thanks.

The lock is the hardest part to get too. I know that Albion Small Arms sells a complete lock. As for the domestic sources, a few fellows here seem to like the locks from Schroeter.

Hello,

Sykes has been having problems with his wheellocks, so he does not sell any at present. J. Schroeter of Costa Mesa, Ca, puts out a kit for an Italian Brescian wheellock and a 16th century German puffer. The investment castings are good, but you will have to make your own mainspring and sear spring as his are made from the wrong type of alloy and are too brittle and break. You will have to adjust the arm on the flashpan cover so that it opens right away when the wheel starts turning. He does not use a chain, but uses a curved bridle like those on Brescian wheellocks. The 16th century pistol fire fine, but make sure you have the right kind of pyrites. I bought some parts to make a 17th century wheellock from the Rifle Shoppe in Jones, OK. It took more than a year to get all of the parts to build it as the TR Shooppe is not very speedy in filling orders. Im hope to have the pistol finished in a few months It is made of investment castings that are rough and require a lot of work to remove the sprews, file and polish, and drill and tap. I found an excellent blacksmith that hardened, and tempered the springs and wheel. Albion Arms of England used to make wheellock replicas and parts.
Rabbitears

...found a book at the brother-in-law's while on vacation with picture of both a revolving matchlock and a revolving snaphaunce!! Just wish the pictures were large enough to tell some details. The matchlock is thought to be from India but that's only a guess. The snaphaunce is suppose to be made in the colonial U.S.! Just another track for you to follow when you get all the one-shooters you need!!!

You could always make one, I bought a book a few years ago at a gunshow that shows the process. It was part of a series where the author shows how to build flintlocks, percussions, and wheellocks. I've built the flintlock and percussion locks in the past, but have never gotten around to building the wheellock. Anyway, I could get you the information on the book and author if you would like to find a copy.

Alex Johnson

Scroll down a little further and CK Henry's book of 24 patterns. Might be a big help...Wulf

If you use schroeters brescian lock, you may want to trim the lock plate a bit to remove the lock bolt holes as they are on the completely wrong places. I placed the wheel so that it turnes only about 50% of a complete revolution and had no problem with the mainspring, so far. I did replace the cock spring. And everything is quite over-dimensioned, if you like filing you can have many nice hours.

Robert

Hi Robert,
I forgot to mention that I had to moved the hole on the Schroeter wheellock's wheel, too, so that it makes c. a 50% revolution. His springs were a problem at the time I purchased his kit. He is very generous and sent me several new main springs, but they broke or set. After much experimenting and trials and error I finally made a new main spring that worked from spring stock from DGW. As before mentioned, the pistol works fine now. I might try one of the Brescian pistols,after the TRS pistol is finished. Schroeter's locks seem large, however, I have seen lots of wheellocks in Germany, in the von Stauffenberg collection outside of Bamberg. The locks on the rifles and pistols vary considerably. The only problem now is finding the proper type of iron pyrites that will not crumble apart each shot. I think I have located some. I could not get the artificial flint Schroeter provided to work as the spark does not seem to be hot enough. I saw a Brescian wheellock by Schroeter at a local Celtic fair. The fellow that owned it said he had problems with the mains spring on his. If you enjoy filing try one of the TRS wheellocks. That will keep you busy for quite some time. :)

Too bad the Wheel Lock Musket Lock isn't available now, that's a pretty piece of work. Guess I'll start bugging them about it and see where things go!!

Wes:

Too bad the Wheel Lock Musket Lock isn't available now, that's a pretty piece of work. Guess I'll start bugging them about it and see where things go!!

If you mean Albion, then do talk to Ron Curley. I know from talking to him via E-Mail that he is making Wheellock Muskets if you ask for them. The website hasn't been updated to reflect this. :(

If you enjoy filing try one of the TRS wheellocks. That will keep you busy for quite some time.

I have their 535 Wheellock, it made into a really nice classic lock. Regretably, the rest of the kit (hardware, stock and barrel) did not show up and after waiting some years I cancelled the order. When I have some time (I look forward to retiring in about 33 years) I go at it again.

Robert

If you mean Albion, then do talk to Ron Curley. I know from talking to him via E-Mail that he is making Wheellock Muskets if you ask for them. The website hasn't been updated to reflect this.
Ron keeps busy, going to reenactments and shows between jobs. His website says he's not currently taking orders, but I think that's to slow down the number of incoming orders so he can catch up, as he's a big supplier to reenactors. He takes new orders if you don't mind a short wait. I don't know about the wheellocks, but if you tell him which model you're interested in, he'll work with you. When I set up an order with him last December (for a 12 gauge Tower musket), he told me the wait would be around eight months. He contacted me a couple of weeks ago after returning from a couple of shows to let me know that he would be starting on it soon, so it sounds like he's on schedule. He'll let me know the exact bore diameter after he finishes making the barrel so I can get the appropriate mould. His barrels are pretty tough. He told me this one is proof tested for a maximum charge of 120 grains 2F with a patched ball. He also sells some accessories (match, apostles, bandolier, cleaning supplies).

Back