• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Three Sides, Four Sides, Why Not Five Sides

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When the US government adopted three groove rifling subsequent to the findings of the small arms commission headed by Jefferson Davis it pretty much set the standard until percussion long arms were retired. So, it got me to wondering how did that choice effect bullet designs in the system engineered for combat use? Clearly it was best suited to lubed lead bullets as opposed to the tapered depth five grooved barrels adopted by the British, their barrels being well suited to the paper patched bullets. Looking around for what bullet designs were in use I stumbled onto three and four sided base cavities used by the French.
French Minie Designs.jpg

Oh yeah there's a lot of systems engineering that went on this arms race!
So, anybody have any guesses on what advantages may have been offered by not using round base plugs?

I rember hearing that “the French copy’s no one, and no one copy’s the French! “
That said it was a time of exploration and it seems that anything would be tryed. A lot of dead ends due to the fame or over powering personalities came and went.

Back