• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this today.
1000031392.jpg

Defining , rasping , thinning , sanding , straightening edges , sanding , making sides symmetrical , sanding , removing bulging spots , sanding , defining mortices , Sanding , final fitting of parts , sanding, sllooking for high spots and knocking them down even with both sides , sanding making mortice edges thin , sanding fitting trigger guard, defining R.R. entry refining thinning R.R. groove edges refining barrel groove edges , sanding .....did I mention sanding ? Funny thing ... Folks will ask about their builds etc. and one thing I notice on many builds of folks first few guns ...the mortices are too big , esp. the lock mortice , the edges are too thick ... Look at my lock mortice ... I thought it was to final when I left the shop....looking at it in this pic ...its too darn thick ! LOL ...tomorrow I'll take her down some more . A strange but neat thing ....take that gun Down to what you think is final shape ...but dont stain it or start the finish process ...walk away from it ....till tomorrow ...and check it out ... Oh tll look a tad fat again ! Take her down some more ! Now ,be careful not to get into.the ramrod channel or anything but ... those suckers were thin , take her down some more ... :)

Attachments

• IMG_20241025_165533.jpg
    IMG_20241025_165533.jpg
    3.7 MB
  • IMG_20241025_165500.jpg
    IMG_20241025_165500.jpg
    2.9 MB
  • IMG_20241025_172522.jpg
    IMG_20241025_172522.jpg
    4 MB
Last edited:
Defining , rasping , thinning , sanding , straightening edges , sanding , making sides symmetrical , sanding , removing bulging spots , sanding , defining mortices , Sanding , final fitting of parts , sanding, sllooking for high spots and knocking them down even with both sides , sanding making mortice edges thin , sanding fitting trigger guard, defining R.R. entry refining thinning R.R. groove edges refining barrel groove edges , sanding .....did I mention sanding ?
Did ya sand it too? 🤣 🤣 🤣

Defining , rasping , thinning , sanding , straightening edges , sanding , making sides symmetrical , sanding , removing bulging spots , sanding , defining mortices , Sanding , final fitting of parts , sanding, sllooking for high spots and knocking them down even with both sides , sanding making mortice edges thin , sanding fitting trigger guard, defining R.R. entry refining thinning R.R. groove edges refining barrel groove edges , sanding .....did I mention sanding ?

I been wondering, do have to do any sanding on a project like that?

Finished putting the Kibler Fowler together today. Next is finishing the wood, but I really don't want to take the thing apart after getting it together. Maybe in a few days.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Defining , rasping , thinning , sanding , straightening edges , sanding , making sides symmetrical , sanding , removing bulging spots , sanding , defining mortices , Sanding , final fitting of parts , sanding, sllooking for high spots and knocking them down even with both sides , sanding making mortice edges thin , sanding fitting trigger guard, defining R.R. entry refining thinning R.R. groove edges refining barrel groove edges , sanding .....did I mention sanding ? Funny thing ... Folks will ask about their builds etc. and one thing I notice on many builds of folks first few guns ...the mortices are too big , esp. the lock mortice , the edges are too thick ... Look at my lock mortice ... I thought it was to finally ...looking at it in this pic ...its too darn thick ! LOL ...tomorrow I'll take her down some more . A strange but neat thing ....take that gun Down to what you think is final shape ...but dont stain it or start the finish process ...walk away from it ....till tomorrow ...and check it out ... Oh tll look a tad fat again ! Take her down some more ! Now ,be careful not to get into.the ramrod channel or anything but ... those suckers were thin , take her down some more ... :)
Yes I like your method- let it be before staining it and come back to it tomorrow. You will have fresh eyes. Also keeps (me) from rushing the job!
Your work is great, Rob!

Yes I like your method- let it be before staining it and come back to it tomorrow. You will have fresh eyes. Also keeps (me) from rushing the job!
Your work is great, Rob!
Well thanks bud ... Thats very kind of ya to say ... Just a damn ole trade gun !! LOL ! ....but I love em ! This one sure is draggin on ...can't wait to get it finished , sure hope it turns out good and the gentleman in Texas likes it . Hopefully be staining it soon ... Gotta work that forestock down tomorrow ....and the mortics a bit ! LOL .... Hopefully get it nice and thin ....See if I got any Carolina pics ....posts with pics are better ! :) Ahw ! Cool ! A south paw Carolina Gun I sent to Missouri ....cool

Attachments

• img_6_1669502932466.jpg
    img_6_1669502932466.jpg
    36.8 KB
  • img_7_1669502968484~3.jpg
    img_7_1669502968484~3.jpg
    162.3 KB
Fired the Kibler SMR for the first time! Absolutely amazing, the lock speed is instantaneous. Got dark before I could really get much done, but I'm about 3" left and 2" down from the bullseye at 50 yards shooting off a log at a yellow target (hard as heck to see what I was shooting for). Close enough until I can adjust the sights off a proper rest!

Last edited:
decided to finish the day by burning some powder.
hadn't shot my birch stocked .54 for a while. dug up the patches, .535 balls, some swiss fffg, and swiss ffffg just for giggles.
loaded up 55 grains under a .018 patch and the .535 ball. had to hammer start the ball with that patch, but it went down with the RR easy after starting.
just for giggles i moved the target out to 50 yards. My intention was to shoot this months members target.
I figured if i got it shooting good at 50, i would move back to the 25 yard mark. I was using a dead on hold of the bull.
shot 3 rounds. thought i was missing the target. got a file and gave the front sight a few licks. fired 3 more. still wasn't sure but thought they were inside the other group. gave the sight a few more licks. Hmmmmm!
fired 4 more and cleaned the gun. don't expect to ever match this one. if i hadn't filed the front sight it would have been a splendid group. as is its not bad. I knew this barrel was a shooter but it just gets better as it breaks in. if i remember right its a GM barrel.
think i will put red stick ems on the members target!
plus I am shooting into a round of Douglas Fir. instant bullet trap! I half expected it to have split.
now watch. when i move back to 25 yards it will be all over the place.

Attachments

• 20241025_215904.jpg
    20241025_215904.jpg
    2.7 MB
My Bride and I just finished running the Ladies’ shoot at the 40th annual OVPR fall rendezvous. Running back to the flatlands on account of that dirtiest of four-letter words (w-rk). Back to camp tonight for teardown tomorrow. Didn’t even bother to bring a gun. Still, any rendezvous is better than no rendezvous, and we couldn’t have asked for better weather.
image.jpg

Defining , rasping , thinning , sanding , straightening edges , sanding , making sides symmetrical , sanding , removing bulging spots , sanding , defining mortices , Sanding , final fitting of parts , sanding, sllooking for high spots and knocking them down even with both sides , sanding making mortice edges thin , sanding fitting trigger guard, defining R.R. entry refining thinning R.R. groove edges refining barrel groove edges , sanding .....did I mention sanding ? Funny thing ... Folks will ask about their builds etc. and one thing I notice on many builds of folks first few guns ...the mortices are too big , esp. the lock mortice , the edges are too thick ... Look at my lock mortice ... I thought it was to final when I left the shop....looking at it in this pic ...its too darn thick ! LOL ...tomorrow I'll take her down some more . A strange but neat thing ....take that gun Down to what you think is final shape ...but dont stain it or start the finish process ...walk away from it ....till tomorrow ...and check it out ... Oh tll look a tad fat again ! Take her down some more ! Now ,be careful not to get into.the ramrod channel or anything but ... those suckers were thin , take her down some more ... :)
Looking good Rob after all that sanding your favourite thing to do and the lock is on the right side .cant wait to see it finished.👍

Put a grease hole in the stock of the Traditions Kentucky .50 percussion rifle. Gotta do something about the brass now. Using this gun and the Jukar .45 to create my versions of original southern mountain rifles.

91A443CB-4182-4557-968F-09D6CBF3FF22.jpeg

It mostly just needs shot a lot more.

Latest posts

Back