• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ticking Thickness

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an aside for those of us that go to Joannes they always have discounts going usually 40% or more off a single cut.The pamphlets are on a counter near the entrance,Joannes also gives out discount cards good for 10% off anytime.The "boss" sews so Joannes is no stranger to me.Its kinda fun to whip out the mics and start measuring,the older emplyees just say oh you shoot black powder,the newer ones sort of give you the eye.

I've got a Lyman stainless steel caliper I bought, well, a long time ago for under $30. Quality is superb and it is still in use.

Kapow said:
I don't know how many stores I asked for pillow ticking, the answer was always the same, "huh? what's that?" Finally found it back in the first store I asked in after they got new stock in.

The sales girl that well and truly had my attention (lets just equate her to a big bore double barrel, if you know what I mean :bow: ) asked me what it was for. Gulp, I told her, and expected the store alarms to go off, such is the anti hunting sentiment in this country.

To give you an example, I was in hospital last year after a tick bite I got hunting in Africa. the doctor didn't want to treat me!

But yes I got a lot of sideways scowls from female customers - like the enemy had got behind their lines or something. I suppose a female might get a similar feeling being in a gunstore.

So what was the sales girls response when you told her? inquiring minds wanna know!

No, it's not always .017 or .018" thick. It usually varies from about .012 to .018 or so because the fabric makers didn't make the ticking to be a certain thickness. The stuff I picked up last week was about .014" thick.

luie b said:
No, it's not always .017 or .018" thick. It usually varies from about .012 to .018 or so because the fabric makers didn't make the ticking to be a certain thickness. The stuff I picked up last week was about .014" thick.

Actually Luie, they do make the ticking to be certain thickness. there are different thread counts. Next time you go to the store, read the end of the bolt and it will give you information you may have missed.

She said, "Wow, that's fantastic. How Interesting. I'm still not sleeping with you..."
:rotf: :rotf: :blah:

I went to a gun store recommended by a poster on another thread as to their might having BP. They did have BP and also had some T/C pre-lubed .018 thick pillow ticking, 100 count. Unfortunately they didn't have but .490 50 caliber ball size, which I already have. But with both .010 & .018 ticking & BP I've got enough to play around with for now.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back