• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tinder Fungus

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAEDWALD

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Sorry to put in so many topics but I have been researching matchlocks and come across things I that make me wonder.

I have seen 'tinderlocks' in that there is a little metal case/tube to carry a piece of tinder that I presume was lit from a matchcord when needed. I have some experience of using dried fungus as portable tinder and it burns slowly with a good coal.

Do people think this was the material used in a 'tinderlock'?

fungus is good for such a system (snap), for example :
xgm7x4.jpg

I could easily be wrong, but it looks like a push button snapping lock. Cock the serpentine, which locks back against the sear/searspring (which the button is attached to), then press the button at the end of the sear to let the serpentine drop into the pan. Neat.

Yes the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam says they used dried mushrooms which is a fungus. I'm sure they also used other sorts of fungi as well as mosses, bark, and charred linen. All sorts of things.

Back