• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tip Curtis Fowler Pics?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tg, and Okwaho, I hope ya know I was yankin yer chains. I've spent a couple of summers being an Archeologist's gopher digging in the latrines at Michilimackinaw, and now living only sixty miles away, and it's easier to stay period correct by using my Charleville. It's good to know at least a few are trying to keep it correct. The only problems with the fusil's is the lock (type),stock (type of wood), and barrel (length)and they should use french amber flints. :haha: Bill

No offense taken and thanks for the kind words.The problem with French trade level guns from all makers including Tulle and others is that in order to sell guns many vendors and makers are taking archaelogical material gathered by T.M.Hamilton and others and translatimg that information into complete guns which are not always as accurate as they should be.A major problem is the fact that there are no commercially available locks which are totally correct.The biggest offender is the banana lock found in many French guns from the 1680's and 90's.These locks were for the most part round faced and not extremely long.I have three French guns made between 1685 and 1730 all three of which I believe to have been made in Liege a major supplier of guns to various European countries including France during the colonial period, Russel Bouchard,"The Trade Gun in New France 1690-1760" in the Canadian Journal of Arms Collecting Vol.15,No.1,PP.3-12 @ P.10 referencing the pricing of guns including those from Liege. The earliest of my guns has a round faced banana lock 5 1/4" x 1". While I think this gun has had a long history of usage in America, I cannot say with complete certainty how long it has been over here. The restoration of the forestock and the American style of percussion conversion suggest a long period here.The other two no longer have the original locks but the original mortices measure approx. 5 1/2"x 1" and are not the banana shaped style but rather are flat faced and have a relatively straight bottom with some drop in the rear.I believe these to have been very possibly Indian trade guns and one of them to have been a Chief's gun.I also believe these two guns may likely have been made in the same shop and possibly under the direction of the same master.The maker could have been influenced by a well known Liege master.
I am looking foward to seeing Mike's efforts in this area since it is sorely needed. At the present time I have been impressed with the R.E. Davis fusil fin kit NOT the Type D kit.A friend is building one now and I had the opportunity to compare it with my two later guns especially the more recent one and the Davis gun looks really good.It has a 48" barrel by Ed Rayl and a sighting rib which is a feature seen on better French guns.The furniture is of course brass and is of fine quality. The side plate is very similar to undrilled sideplates found in the archealogical site of the King's stores in Quebec City and which were made in St. Etienne Ca.1730-1760.There were over 2000 such parts found there,"The Great Peace,Chronicle of a Diplmatic Saga"by Alain Beaulieu and Roland Viau P.23.This excellent book is the saga of the Great Peace of 1701 between the French and nearly 40 Indian tribes.

I didn't mean to be so long winded but it's hard to stop once you get started on a subject you really like.
Tom Patton

Hey Mike can ya give us any of the particulars on your "kit"? Type of Barrel, Lock and bore sizes? I'm interested already. Glad I've put off buying a kit.

Tom there does appear to be one lockplate (to my uneducated eye) that appears similar to the Davis Germanic locks being sold. This is shown on page 23 fig. E of Hamilton's FIREARMS ON THE FRONTIER Guns at Fort Michilimackinac 1715 -1781. This lock plate appears to be 51/2" long vs Davis 53/4". Both plates have chamfered edges, flat in cross section, faceted pan, and a tail with a tit set off with transverse bands. Hamilton also states it has "...banana-like outline...". Hamilton's lock plate however doesn't appear to have such an exagerated banana shape as the Davis. As you probably know I fell into the Germanic lock trap when I bought my so-called Type D French trade gun. At the time I didn't even have a computer so I just believed what was being offered as "gospel". Would you care to comment on the "similarities/disimilarities of this lockplate vs the Davis lock? I realize there are other issues with the Davis lock such as the cock shape and frizzen spring.
Hamilton estimates there were about 200,000 French trade guns imported to NA over a 100 year period. Are there any specimens existing on this planet? Any good photos?

Thanks to all who replied! Well, as soon as my funds recover (just bought a nice '18 Colt 1911, my "other" love) I'm going to order the American Fowler kit from Tip Curtis. Should make a nice fall project.

Thanks,
Brewer

Doooooo,
Nice Tulle Greg...
Gosh oh golly don't let TG, or Okwaho catch ya callin it a Tulle, It's a fusil de chasse, produced in Tulle.

I know its a fusil de chasse, I had the Jethro Tull CD on at the time and TULLe just slipped out... (my bad)

Jethro TULLE? From the Beverly Hillbillies? :haha:

Back