• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tip Curtis kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've read several recommendations on this forum for Tip Curtis' in-the-white kits. What is involved in completing a gun from "in-the-white"? Does Tip do completed rifles too?

The reason I ask: I'm interested in a (Lancaster style?) deer hunting rifle, probably .50cal. I'd like it to be PC if I'm going to spend a decent amount of money on it and I'd like to be able to do woods walks and informal target shooting in the BP clubs. What styles do you recommend for deer hunting (shorter barrel, i.e. 36"?) and these other purposes? Handling characteristcs are very important, so I believe a swamped barrel is called for. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Hubertus

IN the white means the metal parts have not been browned or blued, and the stock has not been finished. The rest of the work on the gun has been done, and it can be shot as is.

As to style, barrel lengh, PC, etc. that is up to you, and what Tip might have available. You don't indicate what period you want to replicate, so giving you any advice is impossible.

A .50 caliber rifle with a .42 inch swamped barrel, in flintlock would make a very find " Virginia " rifle, if its stocked correctly, and has the right kind of lock. ( English).

If you want something for Michigan, a German style lock and a Pennsylvania style stock is probably more "PC".

Check Jim Chamber's site, for his English Style guns. Mike Brooks makes a good kit in an English style fowler. TVM-s Matt Avant makes several Tennessee, or Southern Rifles that fit the Virginia styles. Caywood makes some interesting rifles.

Tip Curtis has rifle and smoothbore kits, finished in the white rifles and smoothbores, and also completed guns.

His kits are basically the same as most other kits that are available in that they require all the parts to be inletted, screw holes to be drilled and tapped, etc...and final shaping and sanding, and finishing.

His completed in the white guns only require final sanding and staining of the stock and application of the finish of your choice. All metal parts will require final polishing and browning of the steel parts. Like Paul said, they can be shot as is.

Tip also has a selection of finished guns as well and his prices are very reasonable. Most of his guns have swamped barrels. His completed in the white guns are about the same price as a Jim Chambers kit and the components are of equal quality.

I bought a finished in the white 62 caliber rifle from Tip at Dixon's Gunmaker's Fair this past July and it only took me a week to complete it. Browning the barrel and waiting for the 4 coats of finish to dry took up about 5 of the seven days. I didn't even have to adjust the sights as the first shots hit to point of aim.

You can contact Tip Curtis at 615-654-4445 or
[email protected]

He has a wide selection of guns ready for immediate delivery.

I went to Tip's shop on a recent trip to Tennessee and had my hands on several of his finished and in the white rifles. He's not only a real nice fellow, his rifles are high quality at a reasonable price. Considering the cost of components I was really impressed with his prices. He had a really nice looking Tennessee in the white for about $978.00. In regards to the rest of his inventory, it's pretty much if he don't have it, you probably don't need it.

Paul--point well taken...

I've looked at Jim Chamber's website and am deciding between the "Early York Pennsylvania Rifle" and the "Isaac Haines". Both seem to be dated for a period from 1770-1780.

Can any of you in the forum give me some feedback as to the handling characteristcs/balance, etc of these two rifles as well as their accuracy potential in .50 cal (remember that I'll also be deer hunting with this rifle as well as woodswalks.) Chambers' website states that the York in .40 and .45 is "extremely accurate"...does that mean that in .50 it is less accurate?

I'm assuming that Tip Curtis will have these rifles as well. However, I believe Tip offers GM and Colerain barrels, whereas Chambers offers Rice barrels.

Thanks,
Hubertus

All modern barrels shoot extremely well, at least those made from barrels made in the USA. I can't speak for all the foreign made barrels, but many of them are also top notch. No, saying the .40, and .45 barrels are very accurate does not mean to denigrate the .50 caliber barrels. They are also great. They will generally shoot better than you can hold the iron sights from a rest.

As for feel and balance, no one can tell you what you need to know. This is something you have to test yourself.

Paul.... You OK ? I think that is the shortest response you ever wrote ! :bow: :grin:

The Isaac Haines will be the lightest if you slim it down like it should be. The Chambers parts set will be the best all in all as far as fit & finish of all components, and normal cost a lil more. I am Not knocking Tip's parts sets, I have built dozens of them, I am just stating a fact from seeing allot of both kits. And I have No problems with the Rice barrels a have had a issue or two with the Colerain barrels, however I have used allot more Colerains than Rice barrels to day, but that is about to balance out now as I use mostly Rice now.

The Haines rifle will balance back on the shoulders of the shooter more than the other rifle, & for me the best for deer hunting rifle. For me the longer rifle would be for target, as it has 4 more inches of barrel.

If I wanted a light deer rifle I would go with a B50 in a swamped barrel. That will go about 7# when finished in a Haines style rifle. I use a .54 in the same rifle for deer hunting & it weighs about 7.5#.
You will love it !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .

I think Tip Curtis provides merchandise that gives the buyer a good value. That being said I can tell you that not every in-the-white rifle he sells is is ready for sanding and staining.

I bought a very nice youth rifle from him a few years back. The lock mortice needed a decent amount of work to get a good fit between the lock and the barrel and the butt plate required more work to get the best fit. I could have overlooked the buttplate but the lock work was mandatory.

If you have a chance, take a very close look at the rifle you are buying.

Salt

Back