• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tips for new builders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone reccomend some good resources (preferably video/picture with explanations) as I'm more of a visual learner) for building BP arms? I'd love to do a kit build, but I don't feel comfortable enough spending a decent chunk of change on let's say a Brown Bess because I'm too afraid I'd screw it up.
I've been watching this guy build guns literally from scratch for a couple years. Easy to watch and learn from. Great guy to. Anwers questions and gives suggestions.
https://youtube.com/channel/UC2GpAxhEDhFQG7eOVZaBMYA

for videos bill Rabey has many great ones, duilist 1854, grumpy gunsmith of williamsburg. this is absolutely something you can learn as you go. I am not good at many things but I didn't let that stop me. just look at my attempt at soldering. yet the gun still turned out decent. if you run into trouble people here will always be willing to help.

Attachments

• 3139.jpg
    3139.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220123_134735.jpg
    20220123_134735.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 0
Can anyone reccomend some good resources (preferably video/picture with explanations) as I'm more of a visual learner) for building BP arms? I'd love to do a kit build, but I don't feel comfortable enough spending a decent chunk of change on let's say a Brown Bess because I'm too afraid I'd screw it up.
I agree with most here, start with a Kibler kit, I've built 2 so far and they are really the easiest you can find, short of a Caywood but they are more expensive. Most of the wood is shaped and the work involved for you , the builder, is sanding and finishing the wood. Look on Youtube and find the Kibler build videos, will take you through it all.
Good luck and don't be afraid, you can do this!:thumb:

I agree with most here, start with a Kibler kit, I've built 2 so far and they are really the easiest you can find, short of a Caywood but they are more expensive. Most of the wood is shaped and the work involved for you , the builder, is sanding and finishing the wood. Look on Youtube and find the Kibler build videos, will take you through it all.
Good luck and don't be afraid, you can do this!:thumb:
I found a series of videos that seemed to answer all of my questions. When I'm in a position to make one, I certainly plan to.

Those Kibler kits are gorgeous. My concern is I've never stained wood, not sure how to attach sights, etc.

My Kibler SMR kit will be completed this week. If I can build it ANYONE can. Truly serious. I lack skill AND patience and I pulled it off (somewhat). 🤣

the two top and the pistol I built since i got out of hospital in September. the half stock was aa box of parts and the stock that started life as a full stock. got stock and parts after someone else bobbed it. pistol was just a block of walnut i have carried around for 40+ years.
study what you want for a rifle and dive in.
20220420_110623.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions for suppliers of historical kits? Brown Bess, Charleville, etc.
There aren't many for muskets. Pedersoli makes the a Lot Charlesvill . From reports, their more recent products are less well done.

Track of the Wolf has a good Bess Kit and so does the Rifle Shoppe, but the last place's parts are literally a pile of rough castings. If you go that route, CERTAINLY pay them to finish the lock. Pricey, but often you get what you pay for.

Latest posts

Back