• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tips for stock cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Added a fine jewel to my collection today. A russian M1856 rifled musket in pristine condition. But the stock has a lot of dirt and grime on it. Any tips how I can give it a deep clean without damaging the original finish?

Added a fine jewel to my collection today. A russian M1856 rifled musket in pristine condition. But the stock has a lot of dirt and grime on it. Any tips how I can give it a deep clean without damaging the original finish?
Can't say for sure as I do not know what the original finish is. Personally I would start with a mild solution of dishwashing liquid and very warm water with a plastic scrubbing pad. Rinse. Repeat. Rinse. Repeat. Etc.
Once the dirt is gone let the stock air dry for a couple days before proceeding.

Reissuance wax works pretty good.
Renaissance Wax is what Jim Supica former curator of the NRA National Firearms Museum recommended to me when My Lt. and I were helping out at the Saunders Museum with a new curator there in keeping the extensive firearms collection in good shape. It is what I have used ever since and it cleans and protects better than anything I have used in the past.

Latest posts

Back