• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tips for stock cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Added a fine jewel to my collection today. A russian M1856 rifled musket in pristine condition. But the stock has a lot of dirt and grime on it. Any tips how I can give it a deep clean without damaging the original finish?

Added a fine jewel to my collection today. A russian M1856 rifled musket in pristine condition. But the stock has a lot of dirt and grime on it. Any tips how I can give it a deep clean without damaging the original finish?
Can't say for sure as I do not know what the original finish is. Personally I would start with a mild solution of dishwashing liquid and very warm water with a plastic scrubbing pad. Rinse. Repeat. Rinse. Repeat. Etc.
Once the dirt is gone let the stock air dry for a couple days before proceeding.

On antique stocks I use warm distilled water and a drop of dish soap. I go in a circular motion with this solution in a soft bristle toothbrush. It will remove the dirt, and have no effect on the finish. Go gently and take your time.

Reissuance wax works pretty good.
Renaissance Wax is what Jim Supica former curator of the NRA National Firearms Museum recommended to me when My Lt. and I were helping out at the Saunders Museum with a new curator there in keeping the extensive firearms collection in good shape. It is what I have used ever since and it cleans and protects better than anything I have used in the past.

Back