• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To Cap or not

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Longbow

32 Cal.
Reaction score
When hunting with a percussion rifle ,do you guys hunt with the cap on and the hammer down ,or do you cap when its time to shoot/ Thank you

Grey Whiskers said:
I will always cap and then use half-cock. GW
+2
There's a trick to that. Cap, lower the hammer fully and then use firm thumb pressure to "press" the cap firmly on the nipple, then pull back to halfcock. Most cap lock rifles have a low halfcock/saftey notch,, it helps keep the hammer cup very low over the nipple.

IMO carrying a percussion gun uncapped is the only real safe way to carry the gun.

That said, hunting with a uncapped rifle is asking for a world of difficulties.

As any hunter knows, taking your eyes off of the game animal is a sure way to lose it. Glance away and then look back and POOF! It's gone.

Capping a percussion rifle without looking at it is difficult at best so it is unlikely that it will be done by most hunters.

That brings up the question, is it better to cap the nipple and carry the gun at half cock or carry it with the hammer resting on the capped nipple?

I think everyone will agree, carrying it with the hammer resting on the capped nipple is asking for trouble. If the gun is dropped or anything hits the hammer hard, the gun can fire.

Carrying it capped but at half cock isn't a great deal safer.
If the gun is dropped and something hits the hammer the blow can break the sear or the tumbler half cock notch rather easily. If it does, the falling hammer will most likely cause the gun to fire.

Another thing most muzzleloaders don't think about is if the gun has set triggers, there is another way it can fire from the half cocked position.

Picture this: The nipple has a percussion cap on it. The hammer is at half cock.
Your walking along and a heavy branch catches on the hammer as you walk by it.
The heavy branch raises the hammer about half way between half cock and full cock.

The "fly" in the tumbler, being rather stupid moves to block the half cock notch.

As the heavy branch pulls free from the hammer the hammer starts to fall.
The fly (as I said) dumbly blocks off the half cock notch like it is supposed to do so the hammer keeps on falling. BANG!
It can be that quick and the hunter won't have the foggiest idea of why his gun fired.

OK. So what does that leave us?

How about placing the percussion cap on the nipple and then placing a small, heavy piece of leather over the cap? Then lowering the hammer so it holds the leather in place.

If the gun is dropped and it lands on the hammer, the heavy leather will cushion the blow and although it could fire, most likely it won't.

I've also heard of some who used a short, hollow metal tube that slips easily over the capped nipple but it is long enough to keep the hammer from actually contacting the cap.
Again, the lowered hammer keeps the tube in place.

If the metal tube has a small lug soldered to the side of it, a short piece of leather or wire can be attached to it and to the trigger guard so it won't be lost.

When the game animal is seen, without taking your eyes off of it, bring the gun to full cock and removing the safety pad/tube with a brush of the finger or hand and your ready for action.

It's true, there's always a large amount of safety "mindedness" involved in hunting,
But we can't idiot proof everything in the world.
Ya just don't go crashing/stumbling along in heavy brush where your rifle is getting hung up on brush and sticks without being aware that your in brush and sticks.
A hand held on/over or around the lock in that kind of situation as well as muzzle awareness is part of the safety issue,

Sure a piece of leather is a good addition and I use one on several guns ...but it is still capped
The type of hunting you are doing is a deciding factor for me.
But I always revert to the first rule of gun handling.

colorado clyde said:
Sure a piece of leather is a good addition and I use one on several guns ...but it is still capped
The type of hunting you are doing is a deciding factor for me.
But I always revert to the first rule of gun handling.

:thumbsup:

capped and at half cock. theres an inherit danger in all loaded firearms. follow the basic rules as always and all is good

I've also heard of some who used a short, hollow metal tube that slips easily over the capped nipple but it is long enough to keep the hammer from actually contacting the cap.
Again, the lowered hammer keeps the tube in place.

For some size nipples a spent .22 case will work for this purpose... pull the hammer to full cock, and the casing will fall away or is easily removed. Carry several spent cases so one can drop one and have spares.

LD

Grey Whiskers said:
I will always cap and then use half-cock. GW

Also also same. However, "hunting" to me is when I'm actually engaged in hunting, prepared to shoot a critter, not just carrying the gun to and fro.

Dave, that's an excellent solution to the potential problem. I have always carried capped and at half cock and have done so for years without incident. Maybe I'm overdue :shocked2:

I'm responsible for the teaching and training of seven grandchildren in the art and safety of shooting and hunting with muzzle loaders. I'll do whatever it takes to assure that none of those kids are brought home with a hole in them.

Some of the old locks had a safety in the form of a sliding bolt that fit into a slot in the hammer. Musta been some reason for that.

I have a 3/4" X 3/4" square of rubber, cut out of an old truck inner tube. I punched a small hole in one corner of the square and tied a 6" piece of waxed linen thread to the square and the other end to the trigger guard. I cap the nipple place the square on the cap and lower the hammer on the square. When you cock the hammer, the square falls to the side. Keep yer powder dry......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Capped and on half cock when I'm actively engaged in hunting (stalking or sitting on stand). The rest of the time its uncapped.

One of the last deer I shot with a caplock was after sitting out for three hours at -16°F.

If I had waited to cap I would not have been able to.

I cap before entering the woods and set to half-cock. When you have two seconds after spotting a deer before they move on or spot you there is no other practical way. I still-hunt or sit on a stump and often when I see a deer I have very little time to decide - and often with no cover between us.

I use Flint about all the time now but years back I would take a strip of leather. Say about 1/2 inch wide and a few inches long. Put a slit in one end and put it over the spur on the hammer then put the other end between the hammer and cap with the hammer down. Not much trouble to get it out of the way to shoot. I have been out a few times with a cap gun over the past few years and carried at 1/2 cock as I was to lazy to cut a piece of leather. :)

Larry

Back