• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To Carve or Not to Carve

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burgessrudy

36 Cal.
Reaction score
That is the question. I am geting near the end of my first kit, a Chambers Virgina Rifle , and it has been long and tedious. Many things have not gone smoothly and although I would like to add a beavertail, I have never done so before. At this point I am thinking of leaving the rifle plain, rather than attempt it. I am fairly good with files, but I have never used carving tools. I am getting tired of the time it is taking and I want to shoot the gun. I started in January. What do you all think? A First timer carving without previous experience?

:v In my limited experience I have found that carving is mainly used on fairly plain stocks, that is to make a plain stock more pleasing to the eye. If you have a stock with a lot of curl I think very little emblishment is needed as that will distract from the beauty of the wood. If you are a first time carver I would advise to practice on hard wood scraps, develop your design, and when pleased with your efforts then go ahead on the stock. cheers dry ball

Nothing prettier than the beautiful work of nature in curly maple. A good clean built plain rifle or uncarved beautifully striped rifle is always much more pleasing to the eye than a fancy poorly carved rifle.

Leave it uncarved, go shoot it & enjoy it.

:thumbsup:

From a money standpoint I think you should not carve it.....This kit costs a bundle and if "so-so" carving is added, the price of the rifle will decrease. You also sound a little impatient which would be another reason to leave it plain. A lot of LRs don't have carving and still look good due to excellent architecture and nice wood. Buy a cheap blank and practice carving on it and view this "practice" objectively or have someone else look at it. I'm not an artist and have a difficult time drawing the design and when the design is set, my wife adds her two cents worth. I'm fortunate or lucky that when finished, my designs are pleasing to most people. Practice and leave the carving for your 2nd rifle......Fred

Carving and metal engraving are two things that I would love to have time to work on...When I built my first I asked the same thing, I was told, buy a good piece of wood and "let the Lord decorate it"...I took his advice and haven't regretted it...

btw...It took me 2 years to finish my first, you have done well to have it ready this early before hunting season...Let's see some pics!!

I agree with BirdDog on this one as well as the others.
A pisspour carved stock no matter how fancy the wood makes it less appealing in looks than does a fancy piece that is not carved.
Put some Goex in it stuff a PRB down it and let the smoke fly and enjoy what you have :wink:

I'm in the don't carve it group. That said, two thoughts. One, since it's your first build, and I would say this is true of about 98% of first builds, you haven't removed enough wood anyway, so you can go back later and add some carving, even if it's simple incised, after you've had time to practice some. Second, it will give you time to shoot it some, ponder what you want to add and get the practice in necessary to do the job right. The most important tool a builder can have is patience. Just my two pence.

Bill

Latest posts

Back